Autism is a 'trend'...?!

I have never been cool, and I never will be. So, to hear people claim that being autistic is a ‘trend’ is as laughable as it is offensive. I never wanted a label to be special. The autism label has opened a door to understanding how my brain works and who I am. I have no desire to be cool, and plenty of desire for knowledge and acceptance. 

Autistic Not Alien:  'It's cool to be autistic...' WHAT?![edited by moderator]

Parents
  • I heard from a professional that it’s trendy now. It hurt me a lot. I have problems that I described her and she said, yeah you are probably autistic, but now it’s so trendy, everyone wants to be autistic. As a result I don’t wanna see her anymore and I’m reluctant about seeing any mental health professionals. I don’t even have the label, so I don’t tell anyone what I strongly suspect and I don’t hear the “we are all a little bit autistic” or “it’s trendy, you want attention” thing. I’m tired of my life being too much for me, it’s like always changing roller coaster and I beg the world to stop changing and let me breathe, everything is too much and too fast, I’m often exhausted, overwhelmed, struggle to sleep, sensory and emotional issues and saying that it’s trendy feels like a slap on my face. Definitely lack of empathy. 

• I heard from a professional that it’s trendy now. It hurt me a lot. I have problems that I described her and she said, yeah you are probably autistic, but now it’s so trendy, everyone wants to be autistic. As a result I don’t wanna see her anymore and I’m reluctant about seeing any mental health professionals. I don’t even have the label, so I don’t tell anyone what I strongly suspect and I don’t hear the “we are all a little bit autistic” or “it’s trendy, you want attention” thing. I’m tired of my life being too much for me, it’s like always changing roller coaster and I beg the world to stop changing and let me breathe, everything is too much and too fast, I’m often exhausted, overwhelmed, struggle to sleep, sensory and emotional issues and saying that it’s trendy feels like a slap on my face. Definitely lack of empathy. 

Children
No Data