Autism is a 'trend'...?!

I have never been cool, and I never will be. So, to hear people claim that being autistic is a ‘trend’ is as laughable as it is offensive. I never wanted a label to be special. The autism label has opened a door to understanding how my brain works and who I am. I have no desire to be cool, and plenty of desire for knowledge and acceptance. 

Autistic Not Alien:  'It's cool to be autistic...' WHAT?![edited by moderator]

Parents
  • I think a lot of people are getting over the stigma that used to come with autism and are trying to "own" it now, so there are going to be some poorly informed drives to try to make it cooler than it is, to feel a part of something good or whatever other plans the posters have to make it more than a disability.

There is a trend in diagnoses being more common for late diagnosed people now as it is gaining some understanding amongst the medical community plus children are being more effectively diagnosed young - so more people are being diagnosed now than ever before.

If it helps some people to feel that it is cool them more power to them - I won't be raining on their parade.

That said I'm with you in thinking it isn't cool for me, but then it has been a long, long time since that term was used in relation to me LOL

• I think a lot of people are getting over the stigma that used to come with autism and are trying to "own" it now, so there are going to be some poorly informed drives to try to make it cooler than it is, to feel a part of something good or whatever other plans the posters have to make it more than a disability.

There is a trend in diagnoses being more common for late diagnosed people now as it is gaining some understanding amongst the medical community plus children are being more effectively diagnosed young - so more people are being diagnosed now than ever before.

If it helps some people to feel that it is cool them more power to them - I won't be raining on their parade.

That said I'm with you in thinking it isn't cool for me, but then it has been a long, long time since that term was used in relation to me LOL

Children
  • That said I'm with you in thinking it isn't cool for me, but then it has been a long, long time since that term was used in relation to me LOL

I've never been 'cool'. That's hard to be  when you combine being physically rather uncoordinated with a high level of social  awkwardness.