Visual stress/Irlen Syndrome - for the first time in 30 years I can read!!

I have just found out that I have Visual Stress/Irlen Syndrome. It has made me so happy as for the first time in 30 years not only do I understand why I struggle so much to read and understand information but I also now can actually read and understand information.

I am 30 years old and I have always struggled to read and especially to understand information. I got top grades at GCSE but struggled immensely at A level and Uni partly because I no longer could get away with memorising the textbook. I had to be able to apply my knowledge which I could not do as I didn’t understand the information to be able to apply it.

Anyway I left uni after a year for various reasons.  I was only diagnosed as autistic 2 and a half years ago. I have spent this year trying to figure out all the other things I struggle with and one of them was comprehension and reading. Particularly comprehension. No one has been able to understand it because I keep being told how articulate and intelligent I am. Anyway I did some research and discovered visual stress. I found an opticians and had it done. For the first time in 30 years I can read!! As long as I read through a pink overlay then I can read and understand information better. The pink overlay improved my reading speed by 25% and the fluidity improved so much it was unbelievable! I am SO happy!! As soon as the overlay was used the words were focused and sharp!! As if I were wearing prescription glasses but I wasn’t! I can’t believe I have gone my whole life like this, thinking that this was normal. 

I am very excited to be able to read now! It’s so fascinating! 

Parents Reply Children
No Data