Innocently Gaslighted

What do you do when somebody says they don't know what autism , is and thinks its just some stupid made-up categorization , and you just need to WORK ON YOURSELF, you know, be more MOTIVATED, and you can CHANGE. You could of course, explain that it's genetic, a neurological condition, like tourrettes for e.g. But to the NT world it seems, in their eyes, you're just BEING AWKWARD AND LAZY.  It's pretty much unanimous In NT world. Its your fault you have CRAP SOCIAL SKILLS. And when you point out that instincts, and disposition are different, again, you're just making excuses AND NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH. totally invalidating your point. IS THIS GASLIGHTING?

What I'm saying is, i expect to be misunderstood. But it's very demoralizing, when you explains you have  'ASD' (or just plain autism)' and they give the the WHUH? FACE

Parents
  • I am so sorry this is not on I too have been told to tone my autism down or that it does not excuse something that I do.

Keep battling and don,t put up with it

• Thank you, man. We're in the same boat. Evey one here as to put up with this. ( I'm sure.) Is it any wonder we close ourselves off. And then they have the nerve to get mad at us, cause we stonewall and wont express ourselves. How is it not gaslighting. It's like we'll never be understood. Trying to explain yourself is like banging your head against a wall. They don't wanna know. They'll never respect us. Its impossible.

• you speak so much sense i am having a rubbish time with my neighbours and the Police who will not understand and accept as someone with Autism and OCD and anxiety does ask things repeatedly.It is as natural as someone in a wheelchair may bump into things inadvertently.Or someone being treated fro cancer with chemo throws up.These people should be reminded that what they say and do is outrageous.i am on my soapbox now and to me it is racism and discrimination.I am determined to do my bit to educate.

Another comment I have had is oh so you had learning difficulties!

Or because I am articulate and can mask well and am intelligent I get the comments nothing wring with you

• Yeah it can surprise people,especially of you have a high verbal IQ. Invisible disability. Just cause i seem...human, doesn't mean at all that i am well put together. NT's don't understand what we go through internally.

• Yeah it can surprise people,especially of you have a high verbal IQ. Invisible disability. Just cause i seem...human, doesn't mean at all that i am well put together. NT's don't understand what we go through internally.

Children
No Data