BBC reporting of autism (was “Southport”)

I’m coming of my self imposed retirement just to post this because it makes me so angry. The BBC keep associating autism with violent criminals when it’s about as relevant as his skin colour or gender.

How do we get the NAS to campaign to stop this dreadful reporting?

Parents
  • I have been meaning to write to the BBC ever since I heard this - I guess we could all complain and see if it is upheld although probably a bit late now. I did post in an autistic community on another platform and just got one annoying person accuse me and others of why we thought no autistic people would ever commit awful crimes and of course you get some bad apples *sigh*  I never said that. They went on to say that genocide might be a special interest which I thought was a pretty appalling response too. I just thought that the BBC announcing as the main headline that the killer had ASD was irrelevant and inflammatory (same as the fact that he was born in Rwanda). 

I guess that the violence of the riots has taken over the headlines and hence my not getting round to writing to the BBC.

• I have been meaning to write to the BBC ever since I heard this - I guess we could all complain and see if it is upheld although probably a bit late now. I did post in an autistic community on another platform and just got one annoying person accuse me and others of why we thought no autistic people would ever commit awful crimes and of course you get some bad apples *sigh*  I never said that. They went on to say that genocide might be a special interest which I thought was a pretty appalling response too. I just thought that the BBC announcing as the main headline that the killer had ASD was irrelevant and inflammatory (same as the fact that he was born in Rwanda). 

I guess that the violence of the riots has taken over the headlines and hence my not getting round to writing to the BBC.

Children
No Data