BBC reporting of autism (was “Southport”)

I’m coming of my self imposed retirement just to post this because it makes me so angry. The BBC keep associating autism with violent criminals when it’s about as relevant as his skin colour or gender.

How do we get the NAS to campaign to stop this dreadful reporting?

Parents
  • We don’t know yet though do we? Being autistic and a connected mental health issue MIGHT have been an element in why this person committed this crime. For example he might have experienced bullying and social isolation and this may have contributed to a deterioration in his mental health. We just don’t know - and people should not rush to assumptions until this crime is properly investigated. 

• You make a good point Kate, we know that autism dosen't make you violent, but mental health issues can. I'd love to know what his justification for is, but at the same time I don't want the sort of mind that could understand it.

The far right just like stirring things up, there's also what I heard described as 'recreational rioting', where people just turn up as its something to do. I take strength from all the people who turned out to put things back together after the rioting, everybody helped everybody with no thought to race, creed or anything, which ot me is just how it should be.

• we know that autism dosen't make you violent, but mental health issues can

I wonder if the BBC reports on any MH conditions - I expect not. The media inevitably looks to 'other' violent criminals, to emphasize the point that they're abnormal - apparently a diagnosis of ASD is sufficient for the BBC. 

It's not unprecedented either. 

• we know that autism dosen't make you violent, but mental health issues can

I wonder if the BBC reports on any MH conditions - I expect not. The media inevitably looks to 'other' violent criminals, to emphasize the point that they're abnormal - apparently a diagnosis of ASD is sufficient for the BBC. 

It's not unprecedented either. 

Children
  • I meant in this case, although I see that wasn't clear re-reading my post. 

I'm sure they have reported on MH conditions elsewhere. 

That doesn't preclude them from linking ASD with violent crime though, which feeds negative public perception. 

• Actually the BBC have done a lot of reporting on abuse of people with mental health problems, they've investigated the deaths of people with ASD in "care homes" and have sent in undercover reporters.