BBC reporting of autism (was “Southport”)

I’m coming of my self imposed retirement just to post this because it makes me so angry. The BBC keep associating autism with violent criminals when it’s about as relevant as his skin colour or gender.

How do we get the NAS to campaign to stop this dreadful reporting?

Parents
  • I was fuming about this. E-mailed MP and made formal complaint to the BBC. Extract from transcript to MP below:

'... I am concerned that the BBC - and possibly others - are linking Autism (ASD) with serious crime such as the appalling murders in Southport a few days ago. From memory, it is at least the third time this year that I have heard the BBC make a casual reference to serious crime in the form of: 'the BBC understands that the suspect has Autism Spectrum Disorder'.

This bothers me for the following reasons:

- ASD is a disability - It is a Protected Characteristic under the Equality Act 2010. I'm fairly sure that the BBC would not broadcast their 'understanding' of the suspects colour, race or sexuality, therefore, their prejudicial labelling may be in breach of the act.
    I hope the BBC reconsiders their prejudice in this matter - will be emailing them on the subject.

- A safety issue - My real fear is for my wider family which has several on the ASD spectrum. They have challenges but great support around them. I fear that this kind of broadcasting will encourage a certain type of politician or commentator to target those with ASD followed by physical assault by mindless thugs that listen to the dog-whistled viciousness on 'social' media.

It may be that autistic behaviour, if unsupported, can lead (very rarely) to tragic circumstances and given the state of CAMHS after the austerity of the last 14 years, there will be gaping holes in this country's MH net. I recall reading a report on our prisons and how many inmates had been diagnosed as being on the spectrum, and had been unsupported prior to incarceration. My family is fortunate to have support from so many people and have to deal with the ignorance of some but let's not allow that to turn to hate.

Your in-tray will be fairly weighty but I implore your government to do one thing, and if I may make a suggestion, treat Social Media Co. as you would treat other broadcasters and newspapers, as, after all, they are essentially broadcasters of written or spoken content. They may have to up their game or maybe shut up shop but we might all be happier for it.

I hope the NAS can lobby on this matter. Well done for raising.

• I was fuming about this. E-mailed MP and made formal complaint to the BBC. Extract from transcript to MP below:

'... I am concerned that the BBC - and possibly others - are linking Autism (ASD) with serious crime such as the appalling murders in Southport a few days ago. From memory, it is at least the third time this year that I have heard the BBC make a casual reference to serious crime in the form of: 'the BBC understands that the suspect has Autism Spectrum Disorder'.

This bothers me for the following reasons:

- ASD is a disability - It is a Protected Characteristic under the Equality Act 2010. I'm fairly sure that the BBC would not broadcast their 'understanding' of the suspects colour, race or sexuality, therefore, their prejudicial labelling may be in breach of the act.
    I hope the BBC reconsiders their prejudice in this matter - will be emailing them on the subject.

- A safety issue - My real fear is for my wider family which has several on the ASD spectrum. They have challenges but great support around them. I fear that this kind of broadcasting will encourage a certain type of politician or commentator to target those with ASD followed by physical assault by mindless thugs that listen to the dog-whistled viciousness on 'social' media.

It may be that autistic behaviour, if unsupported, can lead (very rarely) to tragic circumstances and given the state of CAMHS after the austerity of the last 14 years, there will be gaping holes in this country's MH net. I recall reading a report on our prisons and how many inmates had been diagnosed as being on the spectrum, and had been unsupported prior to incarceration. My family is fortunate to have support from so many people and have to deal with the ignorance of some but let's not allow that to turn to hate.

Your in-tray will be fairly weighty but I implore your government to do one thing, and if I may make a suggestion, treat Social Media Co. as you would treat other broadcasters and newspapers, as, after all, they are essentially broadcasters of written or spoken content. They may have to up their game or maybe shut up shop but we might all be happier for it.

I hope the NAS can lobby on this matter. Well done for raising.

Children
  • There is undoubtedly a  lack of support and this can damage our mental health. My son spent his whole school life with Selective Mutism (in addition to being autistic and having ocd) and he NEVER got really good quality expert support - even though did everything we could to get this in place for him. He’s such a gentle soul but I have often wondered how he didn’t get more anger for how he was treated by the system. I can quite understand why some people ‘crack’ At times because the iampact of years of struggle can take a terrible toll on our mental health. 
    I don’t know about the young man who committed his appalling crime - but who knows? It may have been a factor. Or might not,