Newly diagnosed

Hi everyone Relaxed️ 

I've just been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder without disorder of intellectual development and with mild or no impairment of functional language.

Can anyone explain this to me as I don't know what all that means? People I've spoke to are like asking me what scale I'm on what type of autism I have and I'm just at a loss to figure any of this out so any kind people understand what that means please 

Thankyou have a wonderful evening Blush 

Parents
  • Hi

Congratulations on your diagnosis and welcome to the community!

By the sound of it, you were diagnosed under ICD-11 guidelines, which don't use a scale for autism diagnoses.

Diagnoses made under the other major classification guidelines - called  DSM-V - do include specifying which one of three different levels of support needs you have as a consequence of being autistic. Level 1 = requires support, Level 2 - requires substantial support, Level 3 - requires very substantial support.

Just for info, in respect of related terms: Asperger syndrome (previously used under ICD-10) is no longer used as a diagnostic term. And high functioning autism has never been a diagnostic term, under either set of guidelines. 

More info here:

Understanding the diagnostic criteria

The NAS also has a great set of resources to help guide you, as newly diagnosed autistic person. I recommend having a browse and read:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis/after-diagnosis

• Hi

Congratulations on your diagnosis and welcome to the community!

By the sound of it, you were diagnosed under ICD-11 guidelines, which don't use a scale for autism diagnoses.

Diagnoses made under the other major classification guidelines - called  DSM-V - do include specifying which one of three different levels of support needs you have as a consequence of being autistic. Level 1 = requires support, Level 2 - requires substantial support, Level 3 - requires very substantial support.

Just for info, in respect of related terms: Asperger syndrome (previously used under ICD-10) is no longer used as a diagnostic term. And high functioning autism has never been a diagnostic term, under either set of guidelines. 

More info here:

Understanding the diagnostic criteria

The NAS also has a great set of resources to help guide you, as newly diagnosed autistic person. I recommend having a browse and read:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/diagnosis/after-diagnosis

Children
No Data