Self-ism not for everyone

I can only speak for myself, but I think that for some people, self-ism, where we are told to be self-sufficient, self-caring and self-loving, etc.  can be insufficient in maintaining our emotional load, sense of place and purpose and we need the acknowledgement and affection of others to help us feel whole.

Some of us by nature or nurture cannot function properly by ourselves and therapy as a whole needs to understand that, in my opinion rather than dispense throwaway phrases.

Parents
  • You make good points, well, NAS94841.......and yet, at the end of the day, whether we love or hate the platitudes of "self" this-and-that, at the end of the friggn' day........it always seems (to me) to boil down to that !!!  We can be given the best help and support in the world, but without "self" playing a MASSIVE part in it/the solutions/the mitigations, then our frustration and upset (with the world, and with ourselves) is inevitable?  I'm not saying this is good nor preferable, merely my lived experience thus far.  People can cheer us from the sidelines with either "good" effect or "oh-just-FO" affects.......but it is "the self" running the friggin race?

[Disambiguation - the above is all intended with a knowing and friendly tone - like I say, you make good points, well.]

• You make good points, well, NAS94841.......and yet, at the end of the day, whether we love or hate the platitudes of "self" this-and-that, at the end of the friggn' day........it always seems (to me) to boil down to that !!!  We can be given the best help and support in the world, but without "self" playing a MASSIVE part in it/the solutions/the mitigations, then our frustration and upset (with the world, and with ourselves) is inevitable?  I'm not saying this is good nor preferable, merely my lived experience thus far.  People can cheer us from the sidelines with either "good" effect or "oh-just-FO" affects.......but it is "the self" running the friggin race?

[Disambiguation - the above is all intended with a knowing and friendly tone - like I say, you make good points, well.]

Children
No Data