visual stimming

My nephew has recently been diagnosed with autism and he visually stims. This would not be an issue normally however, he does it when taking him out in the community which turns the whole experience in something very stressful and draining.

His visual stim consists of looking out of the corner of his eyes while he appears to follow lines while walking. he generally listens and pays attention if you show him something but he may refuse to change directions as he wants to follow on a particular path. We take him to safe places such as the park but this is not not always possible as he likes walking and refuses the buggy wherever we go. He is only 22 months.

He seems to do this at home not to often only when tired, feeling unwell or bored as he likes interacting with others.

I would welcome any advice as to how best to manage this or find a way to provide the same stimulation without the risk. 

Thank you

Parents
  • My first  thought is a possibility of being overwhelmed by sensory perception. I've understood that Autistic kids might do this as a way to protect themselves or "appropriate" boundaries. I didn't do this, but I can see the usefulness of it.

You could buy him sunglasses to try. You could also try just taking him out with ear defenders. He might prefer one over the other. But ear plugs can sometimes create enough of an external defence to be able to focus more with the eyes. However...

Autistics don't Filter out incoming signals the same, while this can have a potential (such as writing a book on all the nuances in cheese), when young it can make the world entirely chaotic and unpredictable.. And this can be in degrees, but we don't have the same type of 'adapting' responses internally which are somewhat 'hard wired' into the Non-Autistic population. This also happens in social situations. Most people feel perfectly comfortable around others and internally have an ability to maintain a sense of personal / private sense of self. Autistics, however, tend to sense-perceive the abyss of another expanding infinitely and often to the degree that An Other is a jumbled mess of being and emotions, often with motivations seemingly foreign to us. Little ones won't be able to explain in full detail the complexities of the ego and super-ego LOL 

It's important to not force eye contact.

But on the 'lines', we might all agree: the colour and texture and geometry is quite pleasing and that aesthetic can lend itself to a fine element of grounding. Perhaps find other pleasing geometric textures and colours he is attracted to. Sometimes the right toy, in the perfect colour might do the trick while out for a walk. I love walking as well! We have legs, after all!

• First of all, thank you so much for your response and means a lot.

It makes a lot of sense. He is eager to go out and walk looking in that particular manner. I can still divert his attention and show him the world around and try to integrate different texture. I read somewhere that peripheral vision is different in people with autism and they can see quite well when using it. I guess his sense of balance is not always great as too young :). I have also tried different toys, colours. At home he rarely do it now its just when going out. Good night

• First of all, thank you so much for your response and means a lot.

It makes a lot of sense. He is eager to go out and walk looking in that particular manner. I can still divert his attention and show him the world around and try to integrate different texture. I read somewhere that peripheral vision is different in people with autism and they can see quite well when using it. I guess his sense of balance is not always great as too young :). I have also tried different toys, colours. At home he rarely do it now its just when going out. Good night

Children
No Data