Benefits

Hi all do any of you think people will lose their benefits within the next few months under this Labour government as I’m worried and I don’t like not knowing what’s going on. I was signed off work will they make mr work?

Parents
  • I was long term unemployed when Labour came to power in 1997.  I had studied computing part time to get a computing qualification as there was said to be a shortage of people with computer skills, but without work experience I couldn't get a job.  Labour's "New Deal" for the long term unemployed helped open a door for me by giving me a work placement, which led to a temporary job, which in turn led to my current permanent job.  The Conservatives scrapped the "New Deal" when they got into power.

It would be good if Labour could do something similar for long term unemployed people now that they are back in office.

• Labour's "New Deal" for the long term unemployed helped open a door for me by giving me a work placement, which led to a temporary job, which in turn led to my current permanent job.  The Conservatives scrapped the "New Deal" when they got into power.

I'm not a Conservative supporter by any means but I note that under Labour, youth unemployment rose steadily over their term in power and then dropped under conservative rule, so maybe the New Deal being scrapped actually helped things.

From https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/youth-unemployment-rate

The vertical line shows when Labour lost power.

Pesky things facts.

Reply Children
  • its likely also that under labour work didnt pay as they held wages down, the wages under labour were like. ..... £2 per hour... and for young workers and apprentices? you worked free, no wage at all, slave labour.... thats what it was under labour. no young person had reason to work as labour didnt want to pay young people.