Going on holiday

I’m going on holiday on Friday and I’m stressed. I spend all year looking forward to it but the closer it gets the more I start to worry about. I hate the change of routine and the go with the flow attitude that my mum has which stresses me out because I like to plan. I want to have a good time but I feel like every year I go on holiday and come back burnt out and regretting not doing more and relaxing more. It’s a new environment so I struggle to sleep so I’m planning on pulling an all nighter the night before so I’ll be tired and hopefully fall asleep quicker on the first night there. Any tips on how to make going on holiday easier ? 

Parents
  • When we take our children away on holidays, we always have a go with the flow attitude. We have always had this so my autistic teen doesn't know any different as such.

Saying this, we always have the same/similar routine when going away. On the first day, we will set up, explore, go for a walk. Every evening, we eat dinner together and talk about our day and what we will be doing tomorrow. Then there is a plan so they can sleep better. Then in the morning we go over the plan to make sure everyone is still happy. 

Before going on holiday, our children are so excited but then the change can cause meltdowns the day before or even after. We book the holiday as a family, we talk about what there is to do there, what food is like, the weather, environment, and we always show them pictures of where we are staying, what their room looks like ect. 

Maybe taking melatonin will help with sleep? On holiday we give our daughter it because her emotions are high and she struggles to settle before bed. 

I don't know how much this will help and I'm sorry if it doesn't. This is just what we do as a family. 

• When we take our children away on holidays, we always have a go with the flow attitude. We have always had this so my autistic teen doesn't know any different as such.

Saying this, we always have the same/similar routine when going away. On the first day, we will set up, explore, go for a walk. Every evening, we eat dinner together and talk about our day and what we will be doing tomorrow. Then there is a plan so they can sleep better. Then in the morning we go over the plan to make sure everyone is still happy. 

Before going on holiday, our children are so excited but then the change can cause meltdowns the day before or even after. We book the holiday as a family, we talk about what there is to do there, what food is like, the weather, environment, and we always show them pictures of where we are staying, what their room looks like ect. 

Maybe taking melatonin will help with sleep? On holiday we give our daughter it because her emotions are high and she struggles to settle before bed. 

I don't know how much this will help and I'm sorry if it doesn't. This is just what we do as a family. 

Children
No Data