Neighbours Everybody Needs Good Neighbours.

Good Day. I my best Aussie accent.But back to being serious.just wondered as you know I talk about my lovely neighbours and my ongoing issues.The latest is one of them has sent a very aggressive letter demanding that we remove items from a wall that he considers his and that basically we have been accused of stealing their land.We have lived here for nearly 7 years and have never had an issue.This person moved in around 18 months or so ago and has been flexing his muscles.My understanding is that as much as we would like to no one can lay down the law and tell a fellow property owner that they must do something now.

Am I right in thinking there should be a friendly discussion first then mediation if that fails and then they would need to instruct their own lawyer to establish rights.As you can imagine with my Autism OCD and anxiety this has given me a day from hell getting said letter by hand on a Saturday 

Look forward to any advice or if anyone else has gone through this

Parents
  • Am I right in thinking there should be a friendly discussion first then mediation

Society today tends to favour aggression over reasoned discussion I'm afraid.

I would check the deeds of your property, measure the distances and confirm the wall is actually on your property, then supply the evidence to them and tell them they have no case.

There are some funny rules around walls so I would recommend you have a read here as it could be you are not aware of a nuance of the rules:

https://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for-homeowners/for-owners/which-fence-is-mine/

Armed with all this info you can satisfy yourself of the law, remove the offending articles if needed or tell your neighbour they are poorly informed and here is proof - have a nice day.

• Am I right in thinking there should be a friendly discussion first then mediation

Society today tends to favour aggression over reasoned discussion I'm afraid.

I would check the deeds of your property, measure the distances and confirm the wall is actually on your property, then supply the evidence to them and tell them they have no case.

There are some funny rules around walls so I would recommend you have a read here as it could be you are not aware of a nuance of the rules:

https://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for-homeowners/for-owners/which-fence-is-mine/

Armed with all this info you can satisfy yourself of the law, remove the offending articles if needed or tell your neighbour they are poorly informed and here is proof - have a nice day.

Children