Potentially sacked for being Autistic?

My employer is very unhappy that I have insisted on not being discriminated against at work for being Autistic.

I have been told by my union that I may get sacked because I have raised grievances which were upheld...I am a 'problem' for the employer.

I have a 100% positive record at work - no discriplinary action either formally or informaly. I am one of the best employees in my dept as shown by the data they produce about us. Despite the way I have been treated / discriminated against I still work to the best of my ability every siingle day. I often take on some extra work as I am capable of finishing mine early.

It would be "unfair dismissal" and I have union support, so I am fortunate in that respect.

I will fight my corner - I will not accept being sacked because I have stood up for myself.

Parents
  • Do you mind me asking what discrimination you experienced?

I shared my diagnosis with my last employer and team.  I was bullied by my manager and hoped I would get better protection after diagnosis. That didn't happen I then was looked at through what felt like a magnifying glass. It was a social work team as well we supported adults with disabilities. Awful experience regretted sharing.

Since moving away I have got new employment and have not shared my diagnosis. I sometimes wish I could at times when I realise I am really not fitting in with the team. I avoid social events and try to work away from the office as much as I can. I did try to be socialable initially but as usual that went badly. Getting misunderstood and not reading the room.taking things literally etc.

Now I think the team hate me overstated perhaps but feel disliked and lonely at work as usual. 

I love working with my clients though. People with disabilities. They appreciate my empathy with them I think and I fight for them to be heard respected and supported the best I can.

I needed support from mental health services though myself to be able to carry on with the work. For anxiety. The prescription is amazing and I wish I had got it sooner.  But I have it now thanks God.

• Do you mind me asking what discrimination you experienced?

I shared my diagnosis with my last employer and team.  I was bullied by my manager and hoped I would get better protection after diagnosis. That didn't happen I then was looked at through what felt like a magnifying glass. It was a social work team as well we supported adults with disabilities. Awful experience regretted sharing.

Since moving away I have got new employment and have not shared my diagnosis. I sometimes wish I could at times when I realise I am really not fitting in with the team. I avoid social events and try to work away from the office as much as I can. I did try to be socialable initially but as usual that went badly. Getting misunderstood and not reading the room.taking things literally etc.

Now I think the team hate me overstated perhaps but feel disliked and lonely at work as usual. 

I love working with my clients though. People with disabilities. They appreciate my empathy with them I think and I fight for them to be heard respected and supported the best I can.

I needed support from mental health services though myself to be able to carry on with the work. For anxiety. The prescription is amazing and I wish I had got it sooner.  But I have it now thanks God.

Children