autistic burnout

Hi 

Does anyone else have a client facing job and feel so done like just wanting to stay inside and do nothing but knowing you cant do nothing bc have bills to pay etc and it just makes you feel so sad? Like I feel like everything is such an effort and I just dont want to see or do anything. How do people manage this? What are peoples experiences of work places and autistic burnout?

Parents
  • Hi, I work in hospitality in a customer and team focused management role. I am proud of my career and the positions I’ve achieved, and always thought hospitality was for me. I do get an excitement and a buzz from when a busy shift goes well, but I also need quiet time. 

However, over the years I’ve experienced what I can now only describe as “burnout”. There have been multiple occasions where I have just become completely overwhelmed and let everything get on top of me. I’ve broken down crying in front of managers saying I’m stressed, and needed to take a few days off. Other times (on many many occasions throughout my working life) I have snuck off to back of house areas just to get a few minutes breathing space. 

I didn’t know this was burnout at the time, but I’ve experienced it in near enough every job and realised only very recently that I think this is what it is. I’ve always put it down to me not being good at the role, or not helping myself by keeping on top of things.

Now stuck as I don’t know what I want to do, as I genuinely do like working with people and interacting some of the time. But I don’t know whether I’d excel at something completely different. 

Sorry, no words of advice as such but just to say I completely get you. Every day now I just want to stay at home and not be all peopled out. 

• Hi, I work in hospitality in a customer and team focused management role. I am proud of my career and the positions I’ve achieved, and always thought hospitality was for me. I do get an excitement and a buzz from when a busy shift goes well, but I also need quiet time. 

However, over the years I’ve experienced what I can now only describe as “burnout”. There have been multiple occasions where I have just become completely overwhelmed and let everything get on top of me. I’ve broken down crying in front of managers saying I’m stressed, and needed to take a few days off. Other times (on many many occasions throughout my working life) I have snuck off to back of house areas just to get a few minutes breathing space. 

I didn’t know this was burnout at the time, but I’ve experienced it in near enough every job and realised only very recently that I think this is what it is. I’ve always put it down to me not being good at the role, or not helping myself by keeping on top of things.

Now stuck as I don’t know what I want to do, as I genuinely do like working with people and interacting some of the time. But I don’t know whether I’d excel at something completely different. 

Sorry, no words of advice as such but just to say I completely get you. Every day now I just want to stay at home and not be all peopled out. 

Children
No Data