Has social Media destroyed the fabric of human civilisation?

Discussion topic for today - Social Media. I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this. I believe social media has destroyed the fabric of civilisation. We have lost the ability to "agree to disagree" and to tolerate opinions and beliefs contrary to our own, screeching names and insults at anyone who disagrees with us and calling for them to be cancelled. 

We have become extraordinarily self obsessed and narcissistic, endlessly taking photos of ourselves and posting our every thought to the world. Most of all though I believe we have become incredibly unhappy and unable to experience real life. Most people I see are far more interested in filming and posting their lives to curate a perfect online profile of themselves than in actually living those wonderful moments that make life worth while. For instance, if you see a beautiful sunset is your first instinct to stand there and contemplate its wonder or to post a picture of it online? 
There's lots more that could be said on this discussion, especially the effect on young people.

Would be interested to hear everyone's opinions 

Parents
  • Social media isn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination. But it's also nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be. As  an almost housebound autistic person with zero friends IRL, it  keeps me in touch with what's happening in the World at large.It's also good for messaging my chosen family, and they me.

• Social media isn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination. But it's also nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be. As  an almost housebound autistic person with zero friends IRL, it  keeps me in touch with what's happening in the World at large.It's also good for messaging my chosen family, and they me.

Children
  • You're from wrongplanet, aren't you?. I think i've seen you post there some years back. You're like in your 70's am i correct? Hello, nice to meet you, if thats the case. I think I've even saw your photo once.