Has social Media destroyed the fabric of human civilisation?

Discussion topic for today - Social Media. I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this. I believe social media has destroyed the fabric of civilisation. We have lost the ability to "agree to disagree" and to tolerate opinions and beliefs contrary to our own, screeching names and insults at anyone who disagrees with us and calling for them to be cancelled. 

We have become extraordinarily self obsessed and narcissistic, endlessly taking photos of ourselves and posting our every thought to the world. Most of all though I believe we have become incredibly unhappy and unable to experience real life. Most people I see are far more interested in filming and posting their lives to curate a perfect online profile of themselves than in actually living those wonderful moments that make life worth while. For instance, if you see a beautiful sunset is your first instinct to stand there and contemplate its wonder or to post a picture of it online? 
There's lots more that could be said on this discussion, especially the effect on young people.

Would be interested to hear everyone's opinions 

Parents
  • Although I think Social Media can be useful, I also think it has done a lot of harm. Back in 2007, when I jumped on the Social Media bandwagon and created a Facebook account, I found it to be a healthier environment than it seems to be now. Back then, I considered it to be a convenient means of keeping in touch with people I already knew (friends, relatives, and acquaintances), but perhaps seldom got to see. Based on my observations, it seemed that people were generally polite and respectful, but when Social Media started to become more popular, the general atmosphere changed... and not for the better.

Some years back, I remember finding it sad when the young adult daughter of a friend, along with her partner, seemed incapable of surviving a day without posting sickly-sweet vomit-inducing declarations of love to each other. There was no doubt about the fact that they were very much in love, but struggled to understand why they felt compelled to share their declarations with the rest of their contacts. They didn't need to prove the intensity of their love to anyone, but that is almost how it was coming across. I just couldn't understand why they didn't seem to want to confine those declarations of love to private text messages, or to love letters exchanged behind closed doors.

During the 12 months leading up to this young couple's marriage, I remember there being a daily countdown. This was then followed with a countdown to their first wedding anniversary. Whilst I felt happy for them, I found their desire to want to share to much of their relationship on social media nauseating. However, I suppose I should be thankful that they did at least keep the details of their bedroom activities to themselves.

Although I can understand people wanting to (for example) capture a beautiful sunset, I do find it sad when the first thing people do is to reach for their smart phones... Why can't they just take a few moments to admire that sunset with their own eyes, before capturing it through the camera lens on their smart phones?

• Although I think Social Media can be useful, I also think it has done a lot of harm. Back in 2007, when I jumped on the Social Media bandwagon and created a Facebook account, I found it to be a healthier environment than it seems to be now. Back then, I considered it to be a convenient means of keeping in touch with people I already knew (friends, relatives, and acquaintances), but perhaps seldom got to see. Based on my observations, it seemed that people were generally polite and respectful, but when Social Media started to become more popular, the general atmosphere changed... and not for the better.

Some years back, I remember finding it sad when the young adult daughter of a friend, along with her partner, seemed incapable of surviving a day without posting sickly-sweet vomit-inducing declarations of love to each other. There was no doubt about the fact that they were very much in love, but struggled to understand why they felt compelled to share their declarations with the rest of their contacts. They didn't need to prove the intensity of their love to anyone, but that is almost how it was coming across. I just couldn't understand why they didn't seem to want to confine those declarations of love to private text messages, or to love letters exchanged behind closed doors.

During the 12 months leading up to this young couple's marriage, I remember there being a daily countdown. This was then followed with a countdown to their first wedding anniversary. Whilst I felt happy for them, I found their desire to want to share to much of their relationship on social media nauseating. However, I suppose I should be thankful that they did at least keep the details of their bedroom activities to themselves.

Although I can understand people wanting to (for example) capture a beautiful sunset, I do find it sad when the first thing people do is to reach for their smart phones... Why can't they just take a few moments to admire that sunset with their own eyes, before capturing it through the camera lens on their smart phones?

Children
No Data