Has social Media destroyed the fabric of human civilisation?

Discussion topic for today - Social Media. I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this. I believe social media has destroyed the fabric of civilisation. We have lost the ability to "agree to disagree" and to tolerate opinions and beliefs contrary to our own, screeching names and insults at anyone who disagrees with us and calling for them to be cancelled. 

We have become extraordinarily self obsessed and narcissistic, endlessly taking photos of ourselves and posting our every thought to the world. Most of all though I believe we have become incredibly unhappy and unable to experience real life. Most people I see are far more interested in filming and posting their lives to curate a perfect online profile of themselves than in actually living those wonderful moments that make life worth while. For instance, if you see a beautiful sunset is your first instinct to stand there and contemplate its wonder or to post a picture of it online? 
There's lots more that could be said on this discussion, especially the effect on young people.

Would be interested to hear everyone's opinions 

Parents
  • Apart from this Forum I don't use Social Media. When I take pictures they are usually of views for my own use, sometimes as wallpaper on my phone. I tend now to take pictures on my phone as it is easier than finding a camera. I love sunsets and also enjoy looking at clouds, especially when the sun is setting and there is a red glow. However I find that pictures don't really show the true beauty. 

I don't understand some of the things people put on social media about every detail of their day to a lot of people, or why they post pictures of meals. 

Your comment about first taking pictures reminded me of something else. I often notice when you see events on TV people have their phones in the air and wonder how much of the actual action they miss or people standing behind them.

I guess social media can be helpful to share important things, for example in a local area that might be helpful to others.

• Apart from this Forum I don't use Social Media. When I take pictures they are usually of views for my own use, sometimes as wallpaper on my phone. I tend now to take pictures on my phone as it is easier than finding a camera. I love sunsets and also enjoy looking at clouds, especially when the sun is setting and there is a red glow. However I find that pictures don't really show the true beauty. 

I don't understand some of the things people put on social media about every detail of their day to a lot of people, or why they post pictures of meals. 

Your comment about first taking pictures reminded me of something else. I often notice when you see events on TV people have their phones in the air and wonder how much of the actual action they miss or people standing behind them.

I guess social media can be helpful to share important things, for example in a local area that might be helpful to others.

Children
  • Your comment about first taking pictures reminded me of something else. I often notice when you see events on TV people have their phones in the air and wonder how much of the actual action they miss or people standing behind them.

Exactly, we have become so concerned with recording and preserving our experiences that we have forgotten to actually expereince them. Its like people at a pop concert or football match recording the event in front of them. They will go home with lots of videos but having not actually experienced or enjoyed the event they went to at all