Am I wasting time with talking therapy?

All the sweaty bus trips, the expense, just to be told to basically go *** myself.  Also the ND group I went to last week was just disappointing, I just sat listening and I felt like a basic *** who had nothing interesting to say and I got up and left 50 minutes in.

I basically have to be my own therapist and sounding board now.  :(

Parents
  • Depends on your expectations, which you may need to identify and curb?

Therapy isn’t a cure, it should help you make sense of your experience and offer ways of dealing with difficult emotions or blockages,

As another poster said, it’s about finding the right therapist, and what model of therapy they use?

Maybe it might be helpful if you do some research on various types of therapy, so that you can be more specific on the type of therapy you might prefer. It might also be good to reflect on whether you may be self sabotaging your therapy, consciously or unconsciously?

I’ve just finished 2 years of “Schema” Therapy, I’d identified that as a potential helpful method and it proved to be very helpful. That doesn’t mean I’m now Hunky Dory, it just means I have better options to put language on my experience that’s more helpful.

• Depends on your expectations, which you may need to identify and curb?

Therapy isn’t a cure, it should help you make sense of your experience and offer ways of dealing with difficult emotions or blockages,

As another poster said, it’s about finding the right therapist, and what model of therapy they use?

Maybe it might be helpful if you do some research on various types of therapy, so that you can be more specific on the type of therapy you might prefer. It might also be good to reflect on whether you may be self sabotaging your therapy, consciously or unconsciously?

I’ve just finished 2 years of “Schema” Therapy, I’d identified that as a potential helpful method and it proved to be very helpful. That doesn’t mean I’m now Hunky Dory, it just means I have better options to put language on my experience that’s more helpful.

Children
No Data