Am I wasting time with talking therapy?

All the sweaty bus trips, the expense, just to be told to basically go *** myself.  Also the ND group I went to last week was just disappointing, I just sat listening and I felt like a basic *** who had nothing interesting to say and I got up and left 50 minutes in.

I basically have to be my own therapist and sounding board now.  :(

Parents
  • Sorry to hear you're having a tricky time right now. 

It's not always straight forward finding the right therapist or therapy. Sometimes It takes having to try a few different forms of therapy or therapist before you find what actually works for you. 

It's a shame that you found your ND group disappointing. Maybe its worth trying another go, and now you know roughly what to expect from the group, you can plan ahead on what you can talk about at the next session. Have a think what the group can offer and write down what you would like to talk about. If you really cant think of anything to talk about, then sometimes sitting there listening can be just fine.

I've been in similar group therapy, and found it incredibly awkward sitting there saying nothing whilst everyone else was talking, but some conversation I listen to are very helpful as I can relate to them and learn from the other people. Well done for pushing yourself and going in the first place. 

If you feel things aren't working, there's absolutely no problem going back to the GP and saying it's not working and that you want to try something else. Have a think about what would work for you and areas that you want to work on. 

If you're having thoughts of self harm or suicide, please seek advice on this page: https://www.autism.org.uk/contact-us/urgent-help 

• Sorry to hear you're having a tricky time right now. 

It's not always straight forward finding the right therapist or therapy. Sometimes It takes having to try a few different forms of therapy or therapist before you find what actually works for you. 

It's a shame that you found your ND group disappointing. Maybe its worth trying another go, and now you know roughly what to expect from the group, you can plan ahead on what you can talk about at the next session. Have a think what the group can offer and write down what you would like to talk about. If you really cant think of anything to talk about, then sometimes sitting there listening can be just fine.

I've been in similar group therapy, and found it incredibly awkward sitting there saying nothing whilst everyone else was talking, but some conversation I listen to are very helpful as I can relate to them and learn from the other people. Well done for pushing yourself and going in the first place. 

If you feel things aren't working, there's absolutely no problem going back to the GP and saying it's not working and that you want to try something else. Have a think about what would work for you and areas that you want to work on. 

If you're having thoughts of self harm or suicide, please seek advice on this page: https://www.autism.org.uk/contact-us/urgent-help 

Children
No Data