Am I wasting time with talking therapy?

All the sweaty bus trips, the expense, just to be told to basically go *** myself.  Also the ND group I went to last week was just disappointing, I just sat listening and I felt like a basic *** who had nothing interesting to say and I got up and left 50 minutes in.

I basically have to be my own therapist and sounding board now.  :(

Parents
  • Personally I couldn't have got through the last few years with anything like my present levels of sanity having weathered the storm if it weren't for talking therapy as an ongoing thing... for how much longer I'm not sure. 

As HMO says, it's important to find someone who works with your personality, though there has to be a bit of give and take there as if all they're doing is making you feel comfy then you're probably not in the right zone to start adequately 'tilting the mirror'.

Unless they were being grossly unprofessional, I can't imagine that any therapist was trying to tell you to 'go **** yourself'. As someone who's sensitive myself I get how initial encounters can feel that way, but perserverance could really change that perception. I hope so, and wish you well.

• Personally I couldn't have got through the last few years with anything like my present levels of sanity having weathered the storm if it weren't for talking therapy as an ongoing thing... for how much longer I'm not sure. 

As HMO says, it's important to find someone who works with your personality, though there has to be a bit of give and take there as if all they're doing is making you feel comfy then you're probably not in the right zone to start adequately 'tilting the mirror'.

Unless they were being grossly unprofessional, I can't imagine that any therapist was trying to tell you to 'go **** yourself'. As someone who's sensitive myself I get how initial encounters can feel that way, but perserverance could really change that perception. I hope so, and wish you well.

Children
No Data