Post Diagnosis Support?

Hi all, 

I was diagnosed with ASD earlier in the year. Even though it is something I have thought and believed my whole life, I feel like the diagnosis has turned me upside down and I feel like I don't understand myself anymore. It felt like the assessor saw things in me that I don't see myself, but in the report she wrote, nothing of the sort was described. I received a post-diagnosis email but there wasn't much on there either. I just want someone to talk to who knows Autism well and I can organise my thoughts and learn more about myself. I have tried reading things online but it just doesn't seem to be helping. I want somebody to talk to about it all that knows what they are talking about. I just don't know where to turn.. I feel so isolated and alienated from myself, did anybody else have this experience? I'm from the East Midlands, can anybody signpost me to something that may help? I tried a peer mentoring-type service, but once I signed up I heard nothing more from them, I have sent follow up emails with no response also.. I have joined local groups on Facebook but it all seems to be child-centred and parents looking for school placements. 

Any feedback would be greatly received, I don't want to keep feeling this way.

Parents
  • You have been given  some very good advice already.

As has been said you are still you and you must know some of your strengths and weaknesses already before you did the test and you have haven't changed,. but It can be a difficult time coming to terms with things, I hope the diagnosis can give you some understanding of yourself as well. It can be easy to absorb things that you read about yourself so try not to overwhelm yourself and be may be selective on what you read and I think we can be quite vulnerable to that. Not everything will pertain to you that you read about autism. Me myself I try and learn what will be useful to me, but don’t set out to become an expert on autism and just try and live my life.

I don't know where you are but unless you are level 2 and above then the NHS doesn't offer much at all. I got  a 12 sensory support as I was level for sensory and quite a few areas. Some do offer post diagnosis follow up generally,, I don't know if you will be offered this where you live.

• You have been given  some very good advice already.

As has been said you are still you and you must know some of your strengths and weaknesses already before you did the test and you have haven't changed,. but It can be a difficult time coming to terms with things, I hope the diagnosis can give you some understanding of yourself as well. It can be easy to absorb things that you read about yourself so try not to overwhelm yourself and be may be selective on what you read and I think we can be quite vulnerable to that. Not everything will pertain to you that you read about autism. Me myself I try and learn what will be useful to me, but don’t set out to become an expert on autism and just try and live my life.

I don't know where you are but unless you are level 2 and above then the NHS doesn't offer much at all. I got  a 12 sensory support as I was level for sensory and quite a few areas. Some do offer post diagnosis follow up generally,, I don't know if you will be offered this where you live.

Children
No Data