"Do you Require Assistance in an Interview?"

When it comes to interviews, I believe that I require assistance but I don't really know the options as to who can assist me in my interviews, and what it's even like to have someone assist you in an interview. My mum has said she would be willing to assist me, but I don't know how long she'd be up to it for? I probably will be fine to do interviews on my own in the future but for now, I don't know.

I also want to ask anyone that has previously had or currently has assistance in interviews; what it is like?

Parents
  • I don't have experience of asking for assistance help in interviews, just on asking for adjustments to be made.

I read somewhere that people who have difficulty interpreting neurotypical questions with lots of inferences can benefit from having someone there to do the interpreting for them. In effect a translator from the question to something that will make sense to you.

The alternative might be to ask for precise, literal questions (which is what I'm trying at the moment).

You don't have to use the same strategy for all interviews, or even different interviews with the same employers, as most appreciate that needs will depend on assessment methods for each role and how you are at the time. Try different things out with different interviews to see what you feel comfortable with.

You are trying to get the best out of you, so if they need to do things slightly differently, most will be delighted that you know what you need (or want to try this time round) as self-awareness is important. If it is free or cheap (like posting questions in the chat in an online interview so you can read them) there is little reason for them to refuse.

• I don't have experience of asking for assistance help in interviews, just on asking for adjustments to be made.

I read somewhere that people who have difficulty interpreting neurotypical questions with lots of inferences can benefit from having someone there to do the interpreting for them. In effect a translator from the question to something that will make sense to you.

The alternative might be to ask for precise, literal questions (which is what I'm trying at the moment).

You don't have to use the same strategy for all interviews, or even different interviews with the same employers, as most appreciate that needs will depend on assessment methods for each role and how you are at the time. Try different things out with different interviews to see what you feel comfortable with.

You are trying to get the best out of you, so if they need to do things slightly differently, most will be delighted that you know what you need (or want to try this time round) as self-awareness is important. If it is free or cheap (like posting questions in the chat in an online interview so you can read them) there is little reason for them to refuse.

Children
  • I'm also wondering; if I was to get an interview, when do I ask for the precise, literal questions? I'm guessing it would be when I walk into the interview room and take a seat? Not really sure.

• Thank you very much for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.

I've looked into reasonable adjustments before, but didn't have a clue on what I needed. I will try asking for precise, literal questions and see what happens because that seems like a very beneficial adjustment for me.