Are there any benefits from being diagnosed with Autism/ADHD?

I know I'm on the Autism spectrum & most prob ADHD. My family know that I am. My bro & niece are.

So what are the benefits of others knowing?

Does it actually get you anywhere?

Do I need to be diagnosis to prove who I am?

Are there any benefits from being diagnosed?

Is knowing you are Autistic enough?

Would very much like to know your points of views on this & maybe see it from a diff perspective

Parents
  • Please excuse me feeling wary about offering my own opinions at this point; I'm still working through what my own (fairly recent) diagnosis means for me. Even though I felt very confident that I met the diagnostic criteria, I needed to know for sure.

My diagnosis - along with the self-report process that my assessment involved - has given me a LOT of really helpful insights into "how I work", including why I've suffered so much with anxiety, depression and more.

I've already been able to make some positive changes, but would say that I'm also still in the process of resetting my understanding of myself and working out how to move forward in the best ways for my - and my partner's - future health and wellbeing. 

• I'm in a similar position after a diagnosis this year, after years of knowing I was autistic or something similar.

I think it's positive to know, we can't deal with the unknown, even if diagnosis is initially a shock or knocks us of the rails a bit, I feel that long term it's positive.

So far I'm learning about who I actually am and it's a lot different than who I thought I was, mostly in a positive way and it's made me far less hard on myself.

• I'm in a similar position after a diagnosis this year, after years of knowing I was autistic or something similar.

I think it's positive to know, we can't deal with the unknown, even if diagnosis is initially a shock or knocks us of the rails a bit, I feel that long term it's positive.

So far I'm learning about who I actually am and it's a lot different than who I thought I was, mostly in a positive way and it's made me far less hard on myself.

Children
No Data