Ancestral DNA. Has anyone had theirs done?

II had mine done a few months ago and it was really interesting, I'm 88% southern English with a smattering of European and 8% Iberian. To have such a high percentage in one area is quite unusual, if true, I dont' know where the Iberian link comes in, I can't see anything in the ancestors I've already traced that would suggest Iberian ancestry. 8% would mean that it's a fairly recent addition grand parents or great grandparents and they all came from southern England, more specifically Kent, Sussex  and Berkshire.

My Mum had hers done and she's real mix of British, Scandinavian, Welsh and European but no Iberian, so if it's true that I have some Iberian ancestry then it dosen't come from her, we know her Welsh connection, thats her great grandad, but she's only got 4% Welsh, so you can see my quandary with 8% Iberian?

I might get it done again, with a different company and get my haplotypes done too, I think it would be really fascinating to know my deep ancestry, when my people came to Europe and by what route, are they fairly recent, or have they been here since the end of the Ice Age?

Parents
  • Legal protections aside (re my earlier reply to Iain), I think that the current - and potential future - ownership of any given holder of your sequenced DNA is irrelevant in the sense that similar risks still apply.

Even without providers being acquired or owned by businesses with other interests, customers' data could still be sold or rented to any number of interested parties. (Whilst it's obviously important to check providers' privacy policies, whatever they say only applies at that time and could change).

Consumer protection legislation can also change.

And even if a provider has no plans to ever use its customers' data for any undesirable purposes, there's still the risk of data being hacked or stolen and sold or published to the world - for example:

"he later learned of a hacker ... who had offered to sell the names, addresses and genetic heritage reportedly belonging to 1 million 23andMe customers with similar Ashkenazi Jewish heritage on a shadowy dark web forum. Suddenly ... worried his own flippant decision to catalog his genes could put him and his family at risk."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/15/23andme-hack-data-genetic-data-selling-response

Ultimately, when thinking about having our DNA sequenced, we need to make our own, individual assessments of risks vs rewards as we each personally perceive them (besides just considering the known financial cost).

Personally, I feel that the benefits that I've received - including around ancestry tracing and understanding my genetic predispositions to having / developing certain health conditions - have very much been worth it. But time may prove me wrong! :)

• Legal protections aside (re my earlier reply to Iain), I think that the current - and potential future - ownership of any given holder of your sequenced DNA is irrelevant in the sense that similar risks still apply.

Even without providers being acquired or owned by businesses with other interests, customers' data could still be sold or rented to any number of interested parties. (Whilst it's obviously important to check providers' privacy policies, whatever they say only applies at that time and could change).

Consumer protection legislation can also change.

And even if a provider has no plans to ever use its customers' data for any undesirable purposes, there's still the risk of data being hacked or stolen and sold or published to the world - for example:

"he later learned of a hacker ... who had offered to sell the names, addresses and genetic heritage reportedly belonging to 1 million 23andMe customers with similar Ashkenazi Jewish heritage on a shadowy dark web forum. Suddenly ... worried his own flippant decision to catalog his genes could put him and his family at risk."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/15/23andme-hack-data-genetic-data-selling-response

Ultimately, when thinking about having our DNA sequenced, we need to make our own, individual assessments of risks vs rewards as we each personally perceive them (besides just considering the known financial cost).

Personally, I feel that the benefits that I've received - including around ancestry tracing and understanding my genetic predispositions to having / developing certain health conditions - have very much been worth it. But time may prove me wrong! :)

Children
No Data