Ancestral DNA. Has anyone had theirs done?

II had mine done a few months ago and it was really interesting, I'm 88% southern English with a smattering of European and 8% Iberian. To have such a high percentage in one area is quite unusual, if true, I dont' know where the Iberian link comes in, I can't see anything in the ancestors I've already traced that would suggest Iberian ancestry. 8% would mean that it's a fairly recent addition grand parents or great grandparents and they all came from southern England, more specifically Kent, Sussex  and Berkshire.

My Mum had hers done and she's real mix of British, Scandinavian, Welsh and European but no Iberian, so if it's true that I have some Iberian ancestry then it dosen't come from her, we know her Welsh connection, thats her great grandad, but she's only got 4% Welsh, so you can see my quandary with 8% Iberian?

I might get it done again, with a different company and get my haplotypes done too, I think it would be really fascinating to know my deep ancestry, when my people came to Europe and by what route, are they fairly recent, or have they been here since the end of the Ice Age?

Parents
  • Yeah my whole family did this when my mum went through this thing where she was super interested in our family history. Most of my DNA is mostly English, French and Irish. Next I want to look in to the family tree and try to go back as far as I can to find out more about my family and roots.

• Who do you think are the best cocmpanies for DNA testing, I did My Heritage and Mum did her's on Ancestry, I think Ancestry have a bigger database, but none of them seemed that easy to use to me. I didn't understand why we kept getting matches where we had only 1% of shared DNA, surely that would mean we're related to half the country? None of the suggested matches shared either of the two unusual surnames in the family which made dubious about how good a match they were?

Has anyone got any recomendation for deep ancestry testing?

• I'm not sure who the best is. I guess it depends on the individual and their experience. I like Ancestry they also had a free trial which I found useful. Using such things can be difficult, often over complex IMO. I'm not sure about how accurate it all is but it's a very intriguing thing to think it.

I think Ancestry is one of the most popular people use, but it does cost, but I did look at Familysearch which is free but I found it really difficult to use. 

I'll be looking in to it deeper though and hopefully I'll find one which is easy to use.

• I'm not sure who the best is. I guess it depends on the individual and their experience. I like Ancestry they also had a free trial which I found useful. Using such things can be difficult, often over complex IMO. I'm not sure about how accurate it all is but it's a very intriguing thing to think it.

I think Ancestry is one of the most popular people use, but it does cost, but I did look at Familysearch which is free but I found it really difficult to use. 

I'll be looking in to it deeper though and hopefully I'll find one which is easy to use.

Children
No Data