Ancestral DNA. Has anyone had theirs done?

II had mine done a few months ago and it was really interesting, I'm 88% southern English with a smattering of European and 8% Iberian. To have such a high percentage in one area is quite unusual, if true, I dont' know where the Iberian link comes in, I can't see anything in the ancestors I've already traced that would suggest Iberian ancestry. 8% would mean that it's a fairly recent addition grand parents or great grandparents and they all came from southern England, more specifically Kent, Sussex  and Berkshire.

My Mum had hers done and she's real mix of British, Scandinavian, Welsh and European but no Iberian, so if it's true that I have some Iberian ancestry then it dosen't come from her, we know her Welsh connection, thats her great grandad, but she's only got 4% Welsh, so you can see my quandary with 8% Iberian?

I might get it done again, with a different company and get my haplotypes done too, I think it would be really fascinating to know my deep ancestry, when my people came to Europe and by what route, are they fairly recent, or have they been here since the end of the Ice Age?

Parents
  • you can see my quandary with 8% Iberian?

You have 16 great great grandparents so if one were from Spain then that is over 6% - do you have your family history that far back to see if it could have come from immigrants back in their day?

That would be in the early 1900s so could be war refugees.

• I've managed to go back to the mid 19th C and the 18th with some, when I got as far back as the early 1700's it gets hard to find the records as most arn't digitised. It can also be hard to decipher the writing on older documents as they're so faded, some transcriptions arn't that good either. If I could see some of the originals I'd probably do better, I got quite good at reading manuscripts, even with non standard spelling when doing my degree.

I already knew about the cop killers, now I've found coin forgers and a rag bag of petty criminals. I'm not sure there's anything that I'd rather not know, I know better than to take it personally, but all my ancestors seem to be workers tied to the land or small busines owners such as pub landlords, Nobody rich, famous or even infamous.

I did find out that some of the family names go back to at least early Saxon and probably older, early Saxon is the earliest recordings of the names, I'm able to take those right back as they're quite uncommon, the others are far too common to be tied down so neatly.

• I've managed to go back to the mid 19th C and the 18th with some, when I got as far back as the early 1700's it gets hard to find the records as most arn't digitised. It can also be hard to decipher the writing on older documents as they're so faded, some transcriptions arn't that good either. If I could see some of the originals I'd probably do better, I got quite good at reading manuscripts, even with non standard spelling when doing my degree.

I already knew about the cop killers, now I've found coin forgers and a rag bag of petty criminals. I'm not sure there's anything that I'd rather not know, I know better than to take it personally, but all my ancestors seem to be workers tied to the land or small busines owners such as pub landlords, Nobody rich, famous or even infamous.

I did find out that some of the family names go back to at least early Saxon and probably older, early Saxon is the earliest recordings of the names, I'm able to take those right back as they're quite uncommon, the others are far too common to be tied down so neatly.

Children