Ancestral DNA. Has anyone had theirs done?

II had mine done a few months ago and it was really interesting, I'm 88% southern English with a smattering of European and 8% Iberian. To have such a high percentage in one area is quite unusual, if true, I dont' know where the Iberian link comes in, I can't see anything in the ancestors I've already traced that would suggest Iberian ancestry. 8% would mean that it's a fairly recent addition grand parents or great grandparents and they all came from southern England, more specifically Kent, Sussex  and Berkshire.

My Mum had hers done and she's real mix of British, Scandinavian, Welsh and European but no Iberian, so if it's true that I have some Iberian ancestry then it dosen't come from her, we know her Welsh connection, thats her great grandad, but she's only got 4% Welsh, so you can see my quandary with 8% Iberian?

I might get it done again, with a different company and get my haplotypes done too, I think it would be really fascinating to know my deep ancestry, when my people came to Europe and by what route, are they fairly recent, or have they been here since the end of the Ice Age?

Parents
  • My wife is really into Family Tree building and she's done a huge amount on her side of the family.  As part of trying to find my biological grandfather, me and my father took a DNA spit test.  For a long time there wasn't much happening but as the years have progressed the company (I think they were called Cambridge) has allowed access to different databases from all over the globe and it was a really useful tool for finding lots of different family memebers.

The most useful thing was that we have managed to find a close match to the Grandson of my biological grandfather.  We thought he was a German prisoner of wat - turns out he was POLISH.  Which was really surprising as I also learnt something about history that towards the end of the War, the Nazi forces while loosing large amounts of troops, ended up conscripting lots of Polish nationals to fight for them.

Have you managed to make contact with anyone on the family tree?

Or has there been any skeletons coming out the closet Grin - in these types of things it's sometimes a risky business, you might find something you'd rather not of know!!!

• My wife is really into Family Tree building and she's done a huge amount on her side of the family.  As part of trying to find my biological grandfather, me and my father took a DNA spit test.  For a long time there wasn't much happening but as the years have progressed the company (I think they were called Cambridge) has allowed access to different databases from all over the globe and it was a really useful tool for finding lots of different family memebers.

The most useful thing was that we have managed to find a close match to the Grandson of my biological grandfather.  We thought he was a German prisoner of wat - turns out he was POLISH.  Which was really surprising as I also learnt something about history that towards the end of the War, the Nazi forces while loosing large amounts of troops, ended up conscripting lots of Polish nationals to fight for them.

Have you managed to make contact with anyone on the family tree?

Or has there been any skeletons coming out the closet Grin - in these types of things it's sometimes a risky business, you might find something you'd rather not of know!!!

Children
No Data