Does anyone else get anxious when they hear a knock on the front door?

Hi all. Wave

Do you get all anxious when someone knocks on your front door and you just want them to go away? The abruptness and unknown makes me really tense. Needless to say, I never answer my door unless I am expecting someone or a package. If it's important they can text me (should they have my number) or drop a note through my letter box or something.

I also don't answer phone calls from unknown or numbers that I don't recognise. If it's important, they usually text or leave a voicemail.

Parents
  • I used to feel shocked and get a rush of adrenaline whenever the letterbox suddenly slammed. The same when someone would knock on the door (our original doorbell was located some way off to the side, so wasn't always noticed).

I've found that having a Ring doorbell has improved things enormously.

Whenever someone starts walking up the front path, the Ring chime (along with any other devices on which I've enabled alerts) plays a delicate tinkling of bells. If they press the doorbell, my chosen chime is similarly gentle.

I also prefer not to open the door to visitors. The doorbell enables playing your choice of standard messages to those who press the button, including one that asks them to leave any parcels outside. They can also leave a message if they wish.

Phone alerts include snapshot pictures of visitors, so I can decide whether I need to go to the door. I can also speak with them via my phone.

If someone leaves a parcel without having pressed the doorbell, then the app recognises it and notifies me.  

This perhaps reads like an advertorial, but I'm sharing because it's made such a beneficial difference to my everyday life - and could maybe help others with similar anxiety-related issues.   

Not all Ring doorbells have all of these features. Cost aside, getting one installed can seem daunting. But Amazon also offers installation services when buying from them. Good times to buy with a discount include Prime Day (for Amazon Prime members) and Black Friday - with other sales / offers through the year. Other brands of video doorbell are also available! :)

More info: https://en-uk.ring.com/pages/video-doorbell-cameras

• I used to feel shocked and get a rush of adrenaline whenever the letterbox suddenly slammed. The same when someone would knock on the door (our original doorbell was located some way off to the side, so wasn't always noticed).

I've found that having a Ring doorbell has improved things enormously.

Whenever someone starts walking up the front path, the Ring chime (along with any other devices on which I've enabled alerts) plays a delicate tinkling of bells. If they press the doorbell, my chosen chime is similarly gentle.

I also prefer not to open the door to visitors. The doorbell enables playing your choice of standard messages to those who press the button, including one that asks them to leave any parcels outside. They can also leave a message if they wish.

Phone alerts include snapshot pictures of visitors, so I can decide whether I need to go to the door. I can also speak with them via my phone.

If someone leaves a parcel without having pressed the doorbell, then the app recognises it and notifies me.  

This perhaps reads like an advertorial, but I'm sharing because it's made such a beneficial difference to my everyday life - and could maybe help others with similar anxiety-related issues.   

Not all Ring doorbells have all of these features. Cost aside, getting one installed can seem daunting. But Amazon also offers installation services when buying from them. Good times to buy with a discount include Prime Day (for Amazon Prime members) and Black Friday - with other sales / offers through the year. Other brands of video doorbell are also available! :)

More info: https://en-uk.ring.com/pages/video-doorbell-cameras

Children
No Data