Vote 2024 - register online before midnight 18/06/24

SHARED INFORMATION:

If eligible adults register online today, (Tuesday 18th June 2024), before midnight, via the GOV.UK website - they may vote in the General Election - 4th July 2024.

www.gov.uk/register-to-vote 

The guidance suggests it should take most people about 5 minutes to register to vote online (during the registration process you say by which method you intend to vote in the Election).

It is said to be quickest if you go have your National Insurance number with you (to enter / input) as you register online. 

(Although, there is guidance to say you can still register to vote if that National Insurance number access is a problem for you / you do not have one). 

There are other ways to register to vote mentioned on that webpage too.

You can also find an Easy Read guide near the bottom of the page, under the heading "Getting help registering". 

(I don't usually make use of Easy Read documents - yet, when I had a look at it - I thought it seemed helpful - not least, to manage your thoughts and expectations beforehand).

MY COMMENT (ALL Party Political Politics Aside):

I believe it is vital for all Autistic adults, across all decades of adulthood, to have their own views, needs and outlooks: better, more readily, and more accurately represented in our Government / Parliament. 

One way to influence that is to register to vote ...and then place (cast / make) your vote in Elections. 

I encourage: use your vote to be counted and heard!

While this is not intended to spark a political discussion thread, I do recall my Late Grandfather's explanation, (to eight year old me), that, in his view; voting in Elections is a citizen's civic duty.

... maybe, you have had "register to vote" on your good intentions "to do list".  (Moved house since the last Election and have yet to update your details?).

... however, you might have realised that you have yet to get around to doing so?

"Action This Day!".

Parents
  • Be aware that registering to vote puts you at risk of being called for jury service.

• Why is jury service a '..risk..'? We all have a right to be tried by a jury of our peers, that's all of us ordinary people with all our flaws, preconceptions, joy and goodwill, if you were accused of a crime would you not like an autistic person on your jury, someone who understand the way autistic people think? Most people who are called will sit on a fairly mundane trial lasting 2 or 3 days, obviously there are some high profile ones, but they're few and far between. You can recuse yourself from jury service if sellected, I did, it's all part of the form you get asking you to attend, you simply write your reasons for being able to attend and the Clerk of the Court lets you off. I told them that I have IBS and when I have to go, I need to go and that I didn't think the judge would like it if I was bobbing up and down to use the toilet, I would of liked to do jury duty, I think it would be interesting, my Dad did it and found it fascinating.

I think many people are more familair with the American jury and court system than the British one, most though tv drama and live trials, British courts are very different to American ones.

I think it would be a shame to put off of voting because of fear of something that may never happen, not everyone is called and is easy to get out of with good reason.

• Why is jury service a '..risk..'?

If you are self employed then it can lead to weeks without income other than the pittance they give for a daily allowance.

If you contract for an company via the self employed route then the company can drop you, leading to you effectively losing your job.

These are the practical aspects never mind the prospect of being stuck with a bunch of strangers arguing for weeks over the merits of a case. This would be a vision of hell for many of us.

• You're advising people to rely on the goodwill of strangers to let them off something that could destroy their life. That's dangerous.

Reply Children
No Data