Why is grey hair on a man OK?

Men always seem to be praised and told they're sexy, a silver fox, when they go grey, but women are under pressure to colour their hair.

I've decided, I'm a silver vixen, I'm good at bin diving and I shriek in the night!

Parents
  • I'm afraid I'm on the edge of "mansplaining" my Animal Behaviour degree I took years ago - please forgive me!!!!

As I seem to remember broadly speaking when you look at multiple research sources across many aspects of sociology/psychology/ behavioural sciences etc.  A man will find "attractive" elements of youth and vigour - the simple biological reason is that women who are young tend to be more fertile, the ones with clear skin and healthy looks appear to be idea candidates for supplying healthy children.

Women tend to favour an older, richer or more "successful" man - for the same reasons as men select women partners.  If you are going to have children with someone, someone who can provide for your children, who is experienced in life - has made it to his middle years without loosing a limb or falling down a well - then this bodes well as passing on good genes.

A lot of what we do is hardwired into our DNA in terms of behaviour.

That said, the latest Magnum ice cream TV Advert features both silver fox and vixen working in perfect unison

Behind the scenes at The Pleasure Residence | Magnum Ice Cream

Although a lot is hard wired, it doesn't stop us from making good choices

• I'm afraid I'm on the edge of "mansplaining" my Animal Behaviour degree I took years ago - please forgive me!!!!

As I seem to remember broadly speaking when you look at multiple research sources across many aspects of sociology/psychology/ behavioural sciences etc.  A man will find "attractive" elements of youth and vigour - the simple biological reason is that women who are young tend to be more fertile, the ones with clear skin and healthy looks appear to be idea candidates for supplying healthy children.

Women tend to favour an older, richer or more "successful" man - for the same reasons as men select women partners.  If you are going to have children with someone, someone who can provide for your children, who is experienced in life - has made it to his middle years without loosing a limb or falling down a well - then this bodes well as passing on good genes.

A lot of what we do is hardwired into our DNA in terms of behaviour.

That said, the latest Magnum ice cream TV Advert features both silver fox and vixen working in perfect unison

Behind the scenes at The Pleasure Residence | Magnum Ice Cream

Although a lot is hard wired, it doesn't stop us from making good choices

Children
No Data