I am romantically interested in someone who is autistic

I dated an autistic guy in February this year since then we have been talking, i really like him, I've told him how i feel, and I want a relationship, but he is struggling after losing his job 3 months ago and wont commit to seeing me again. He's recently opened up to me and said he struggles to fit in, he has nothing to bring to a relationship, his life is complicated and he is struggling. He has no friends, and no girlfriend for 10 years, I am doubtful if he's ever had a girlfriend and i am not sure if this is another reason he wont date me again as he has no confidence in himself. I keep getting frustrated with the situation, it's affecting him and he gets down. he's told me he likes me but cannot tell me how he feels when i ask him. He can easily walk away with no emotions, and i get upset. Clearly he's not interested in a relationship but enjoys my company i feel maybe i am comforting him as he also said he's lonely. He longs for something meaningful but cannot see the bigger picture. We met on a dating site so I am hoping he's just going through a hard time. I keep telling myself to be patient and he will change and want to see me. I would like some advice what to do with the situation as I am not autistic.

Parents
  • The traditional teaching of the Catholic Church has always been (before Vatican II) that if one has any sort of disability or mental health issue, that one should refrain from becoming romantically involved with anyone as it is considered gravely sinful in all cases 

• The traditional teaching of the Catholic Church has always been (before Vatican II) that if one has any sort of disability or mental health issue, that one should refrain from becoming romantically involved with anyone as it is considered gravely sinful in all cases 

Children