I have always had an internal voice like a narrator in my head of my own voice

Hi everyone 

Through out my life because of my autism I have always had an internal voice like a narrator in my head of my own voice.  I find it really difficult to switch off as it constantly scripting future conversations with people.  I have try doing mindful activities to make it stop and it make hard to sleep at night.  I was wondering if anyone had advice on it?  

Parents
  • I’ve always had this, I thought everyone else did as well. It’s one of the reasons I’m never lonely when alone.

• Me too. This helps me think that those people who don't have that voice crave the company of others. And they say we have deficits!

It helps me process and make sense of the things around me. Like others have said, I don't think linearly, or in words, and it takes me time to find the galaxy inside my mind to find what you want to talk about, then more time to narrow it down to focus, so often I am still trying to understand the question when the conversation has moved on to another area.

Replaying or rehearsing conversations is helpful too, I wouldn't want to change that. But sometimes, just sometimes, it would be nice to have a 'pause' button...

• Me too. This helps me think that those people who don't have that voice crave the company of others. And they say we have deficits!

It helps me process and make sense of the things around me. Like others have said, I don't think linearly, or in words, and it takes me time to find the galaxy inside my mind to find what you want to talk about, then more time to narrow it down to focus, so often I am still trying to understand the question when the conversation has moved on to another area.

Replaying or rehearsing conversations is helpful too, I wouldn't want to change that. But sometimes, just sometimes, it would be nice to have a 'pause' button...

Children