National Service

I see this old chestnut has come to the fore again. I can see problems with it.

Does the military want all these people for a year or so and what will they do with them?

If people are made to volunteer for things like life boats, special constables and library assistants, will it mean that the training for such things will outlast the service time?

Will real jobs be at risk because people are volunteering?

If theres no sanctions how will they make people do it?

Will it mean that those currently on benefits will be sanctioned for not "doing their bit"?

Will this idea have mission creep? If not enough people volunteer, will some kind of sanction be imposed?

It all sounds desperate to me, like a political party flailing about to find vote winning policies that are ill thought out.

It won't come in until 2029 anyway, just in time for another election, hmmm?

Parents
  • The discussion about national service here in the U.K. seems to have sparked discussion back home in Ireland, as some Irish people want the Irish government to bring it in, in order to protect Irish neutrality, even though Ireland is part of the UN Security Council and Ireland might still join NATO - many people in Ireland believe that being a member of the UN, the EU, NATO, etc, breaches and is a violation of our original 1937 constitution, of which Articles 2 & 3 claim the 6 counties of Northern Ireland - many Irish people are concerned that a United Ireland (despite the Good Friday Agreement and the current Common Travel Area) would involve dropping our constitution, our flag, national anthem and our Irish identity - personally, I think that the Swiss model could work for Ireland (Switzerland being a neutral country) in which everyone over the age of 16 must do mandatory milltary service on a regular basis at least every 12 months in order to help protect the country’s neutrality - given Ireland’s centuries long history of conflict, given also the fact that our army, navy and air corps is woefully small and is highly dependent on both the Royal Navy and RAF to defend us from RAF bases in Wales, we Irish should be adopting the Swiss model of national service 

• The discussion about national service here in the U.K. seems to have sparked discussion back home in Ireland, as some Irish people want the Irish government to bring it in, in order to protect Irish neutrality, even though Ireland is part of the UN Security Council and Ireland might still join NATO - many people in Ireland believe that being a member of the UN, the EU, NATO, etc, breaches and is a violation of our original 1937 constitution, of which Articles 2 & 3 claim the 6 counties of Northern Ireland - many Irish people are concerned that a United Ireland (despite the Good Friday Agreement and the current Common Travel Area) would involve dropping our constitution, our flag, national anthem and our Irish identity - personally, I think that the Swiss model could work for Ireland (Switzerland being a neutral country) in which everyone over the age of 16 must do mandatory milltary service on a regular basis at least every 12 months in order to help protect the country’s neutrality - given Ireland’s centuries long history of conflict, given also the fact that our army, navy and air corps is woefully small and is highly dependent on both the Royal Navy and RAF to defend us from RAF bases in Wales, we Irish should be adopting the Swiss model of national service 

Children
No Data