To be diagnosed or not diagnosed

Hi, I am undiagnosed but score nearly autistic on a couple of tests and have significant scores in all areas of the masking questionnaire. My primary problem is struggling with social interactions and cues. It has quiet a significant impact on my life. In fact I had basically a melt down at the end of some intensive online training this week. I'm pretty sure the trainer thinks I'm crazy. A diagnosis would help that. But I am worried about the stigma I may encounter from health professionals and really other people in general if I go for a diagnosis. Other women who got diagnosed as adults did you notice a change in how people and health professionals interacted with you afterwards?

(I mention health professionals as currently everything I go to the Dr about is attributed.to the menopause I don't want to give them another 'easy to fob off' ready diagnosis)

Parents
  • Hi JPell

I'm a self diagnosed older autistic woman. I score 46 on the AQ50 screening test, but as my GP advised that I wouldn't get any help if I did get a professional diagnosis, I decided not to bother.

Like Alienated Human, I have learned to adapt and also had the worry about getting a negative result - because autism explains things for me, so if I was told I'm not autistic I'd be lost again. 

However it is a very personal decision, and Kate made a good point about it possibly being useful for heathcare settings. For some people it is also needed to get adjustments at work, but I got those without a formal diagnosis. I just told my bosses that I was on the spectrum and that I had sensory issues, and adjustments were arranged.

Whatever you decide, you will be welcome on here.

• Hi JPell

I'm a self diagnosed older autistic woman. I score 46 on the AQ50 screening test, but as my GP advised that I wouldn't get any help if I did get a professional diagnosis, I decided not to bother.

Like Alienated Human, I have learned to adapt and also had the worry about getting a negative result - because autism explains things for me, so if I was told I'm not autistic I'd be lost again. 

However it is a very personal decision, and Kate made a good point about it possibly being useful for heathcare settings. For some people it is also needed to get adjustments at work, but I got those without a formal diagnosis. I just told my bosses that I was on the spectrum and that I had sensory issues, and adjustments were arranged.

Whatever you decide, you will be welcome on here.

Children
  • My best adjustment I’ve done for myself was refusing to work in customer service. A lot of anxiety due to seeing so many different faces, you never know when someone comes or calls and what will they want from me. It was like sitting on a ticking bomb. When it comes to sensory sensitivities, they still bother me a little bit but it’s much better than in previous jobs. Now I work in a warehouse and a bit in the office, the boss decided to not put me on a forklift so problem with noise solved, lights are dim there, sometimes some smells but it’s all under control. I remember having huge problems working in the office and having to spend 8 hours in front of a screen. So these adjustments I can manage on my own without diagnosis, even if my boss decides to put me on a forklift I can also tell him that I have these sensitivities and I’m autistic and i just can’t do it. For some people the knowledge is enough, it helps me better understand myself. In my case whenever I have some doubts or imposter knocking on my door, if I listen or read someone else’s experience… I often say oh! It’s me! Yes! It’s totally me! So then it seems to be impossible that I would get a negative result when relating so much to other autists and having their advice working for me. And I really enjoy being here.