Do any of you have ADD?

If so, how does it affect you?

Parents
  • Yes, I was diagnosed with it 2yrs ago through the NHS right to choose. I’m still dealing with a lot of imposter syndrome around it though- part of me feels like I had a significant genetic propensity towards it, and then getting covid ‘activated’ those genes. It’s really hard to distinguish ADD, ASD, and burnout especially as I cope really well and can do a lot of ‘typical functions’. My mother has adhd as well so a lot of things come from how I was raised. 

A lot of the ADD masks the autism [and contributes to burnout- I actually find the ADD meds I take seem to hide the autism more than the add]. For example, the narrow/intense interests are still narrow and intense, and I struggle to talk about topics that aren’t those, but because my brain is often jumping around and interested in novelty it means I learn a lot about a wide number of things, and can link them in my head to discuss a lot of different things and seem ‘less narrow’. 
    IMO it also makes me way more people pleasing than I would be ‘naturally’ (ie autistic w/o the ADD), I learnt a lot of social skills essentially through punishment- even a quiet discussion around me being too intense or bossy etc triggers the rejection sensitive dysphoria and a desire to compensate. Generally, the more significant a punishment/reward is (to the learner- within their ‘tolerance zone’) the more significant/faster effect it has on their behaviour, so I’ve learnt social skills by getting it wrong 1-2x and my brain punishing me heavily for it rather than taking a bit longer to learn if I was autistic alone. 
    Planning is also a nightmare- basically I’m late for everything because my brain is overwhelmed/struggling with executive functioning and having a ‘routine’ (ADD), but the autistic aspect can ‘cope’ if plans are late, but I’m almost incapable of cancelling because that would be a full ‘plan change’ 

Those are just a few aspects, is ADD something you have noticed in yourself?

• I was told at autism diagnosis that I should pursue an ADHD diagnosis as they thought I had both, I'm still not at all sure which traits are which and sometimes think all of them can be explained by autism alone, but reading your post makes me see a lot of similarities.

Mainly around how I think I can get a bit "daft" and "over the top" in some situations as if something is compensating. This might just be the anxiety of social situations though. Same with the times I struggle to stay focussed on one thing while my conscious mind is throwing all sorts of other things at me, this might be the PDA of my autism and sometimes the monotropism counters it??

Not sure what to do, maybe wait a bit until I'm totally sorted with what my autism really means to me.

• There’s a significant amount of overlap between the two, I think if the diagnoses were created based on neurobiology/symptoms as we recognise them now instead of it being an expansion on the criteria created ages ago based on the experience of young (white) boys, we’d have a different set of disorders/classifications. 
    Despite the diagnosis I still struggle a lot with imposter syndrome for both so it’s not a ‘quick fix’ in my experience. A lot (most in my experience) of the accommodations a combined autism/adhd diagnosis can get you can already be achieved with an autism diagnosis, so if that’s the angle you’d approach it from it may not be worth it. Similarly, if you thought medication for potential adhd could help and want to seek a diagnosis for that reason, I would just caution that I’m 99% sure it’s heavily contributed to my autistic burnout (as it can ‘mask’ autism sometimes imo).

• There’s a significant amount of overlap between the two, I think if the diagnoses were created based on neurobiology/symptoms as we recognise them now instead of it being an expansion on the criteria created ages ago based on the experience of young (white) boys, we’d have a different set of disorders/classifications. 
    Despite the diagnosis I still struggle a lot with imposter syndrome for both so it’s not a ‘quick fix’ in my experience. A lot (most in my experience) of the accommodations a combined autism/adhd diagnosis can get you can already be achieved with an autism diagnosis, so if that’s the angle you’d approach it from it may not be worth it. Similarly, if you thought medication for potential adhd could help and want to seek a diagnosis for that reason, I would just caution that I’m 99% sure it’s heavily contributed to my autistic burnout (as it can ‘mask’ autism sometimes imo).

Children
No Data