Social model of ASD

Monday I had an argument with the online ASD community I attend. As an older Aspie, I can say that ASD has completely ruined my life. I cannot count the many opportunities that I missed due to ASD.

That ASD community insists that ASD is a wonderful superpower, and if anyone has a problem is because society is not accepting it. They even disagreed with the acronym ASD since "autism is not a disorder", and insisted that ASD should not be treated since it's not an illness or a disability.

It's just me, or this point of view is becoming more and more common? Why so many people are starting to subscribe to that "social model" of ASD?

Parents
  • I think I understand where you're coming from. On the one hand, I think it's good to recognize that we with ASD are good the way we are. There's nothing wrong with recognizing the gifts we have because of our non-neurotypical brains. On the other hand, to be honest, I sometimes find it annoying when ASD is glorified by some in the ASD community as a fun lifestyle and the problem is always the others, the neurotypicals.
    The D for disorder bothers me a bit too, but it seems to remain necessary to categorize autism as a disorder when social/medical or psychiatric help is needed. And, let's be honest, we do have to make use of this help from time to time. We shouldn't have to be ashamed of this and we should be granted this help without being humiliated. I think that's important.
    But to claim that I am a superior being just because I'm autistic: I don't think that's okay.
    Maybe it's just a kind of protective attitude that some people adopt because they have experienced so much discrimination. Maybe it builds them up when they say to themselves: I have a superpower that makes me better than everyone who has bullied me. When I think about it, I can understand how someone could have that attitude, and it's possible that I've behaved that way myself. But we live in a society, we're not eremites. So it's better not to act like some kind of superior being just because it makes you feel better. 

• I think I understand where you're coming from. On the one hand, I think it's good to recognize that we with ASD are good the way we are. There's nothing wrong with recognizing the gifts we have because of our non-neurotypical brains. On the other hand, to be honest, I sometimes find it annoying when ASD is glorified by some in the ASD community as a fun lifestyle and the problem is always the others, the neurotypicals.
    The D for disorder bothers me a bit too, but it seems to remain necessary to categorize autism as a disorder when social/medical or psychiatric help is needed. And, let's be honest, we do have to make use of this help from time to time. We shouldn't have to be ashamed of this and we should be granted this help without being humiliated. I think that's important.
    But to claim that I am a superior being just because I'm autistic: I don't think that's okay.
    Maybe it's just a kind of protective attitude that some people adopt because they have experienced so much discrimination. Maybe it builds them up when they say to themselves: I have a superpower that makes me better than everyone who has bullied me. When I think about it, I can understand how someone could have that attitude, and it's possible that I've behaved that way myself. But we live in a society, we're not eremites. So it's better not to act like some kind of superior being just because it makes you feel better. 

Children
No Data