Struggles at work. Am I asking too much?

Hi all, I don't usually reach out for advise as I'm always concerned about the reaction I would get. This seems like a safe place to reach out. I was diagnosed with ASC in 2022 and I am now 35. I have always struggled with education and work, often jumping from one job to another to avoid getting too close to people. Anyway, back on track. I have been at my current place of work for 8 years and have moved into management. My recent struggles have been around noise. There have been loud events taking place in the main area of the building and recently this has been so loud that it caused my first meltdown in years. This started in front of people i manage and I've found it extremely difficult to get back to work following it. 

I reached out to HR and was offered a welfare meeting which I accepted, this hasn't been set up yet. Today, an email was sent to all detailing another event next week with live music. My stomach turned when I saw it. I have asked that any events are kept at a suitable volume where people can still hear each other talk when they attend. My work have told me to go to a different site or sit somewhere else in the building rather than at my desk. Completely changing my routine and meaning I would have to tell people I can't attend meetings because I'm autistic and can't cope with the noise. Am I being unreasonable? If not, what else can I do to puy my feelings across. I have already written a very open an honest email (which I found challenging) detailing my concerns.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you in advance.

• My work have told me to go to a different site or sit somewhere else in the building rather than at my desk. Completely changing my routine and meaning I would have to tell people I can't attend meetings because I'm autistic and can't cope with the noise.

I'm a little confused with this - I read it as your work are allowing Reasonable Adjustments by allowing you to move away from the noise - this adjustment will by its nature cause a change or routine.

If you are now in a quieter area then why can you not attend meetings because of the noise? Are these meetings back in the noisy area? If so then the very Adjustments you have asked for are being removed here so you have grounds to ask for the meetings to be moved to somewhere quieter for everyone else to suit you.

Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? This would seem a much more logical solution for meetings and your colleagues seeing you with these should make them realise that you are going out of your comfort zone for the work.

I suspect that because you have operated in a noisy environment before then occasional forays into it should be manageable now that you are able to spend your other time in quieter areas. You have been in this sort of environment for 8 years so to now say you can't go anywhere noisy again is too much to ask for - a better balance is being provided for you which I expect will allow you reacharge opportunities that you would previously not had.

• I can completely relate.  You are not being unreasonable. I'm having difficulties with the noise in my workplace and have also had a meltdown recently.  I already sit on my own in the corner, where I've always sat (Had to change roles due to change in processes) so I can look at the wall when I get visually overstimulated and hopefully I'm away from others.  The office is now very busy on Tuesdays, we have to attend two days a week now.  I wear 'Loop' earplugs, which are amazing and without them I would be unable to cope, but I can still hear loud chatter, laughter etc.  I've raised this so many times with my  managers but they don't really know what to do and their suggestion is that I move and sit somewhere else; It's just easier to impact me, one person, than make others just have a little more consideration.  I advise wait and see what comes from your HR meeting they may be supportive and once they understand why it's a problem look at ways to make things easier for you.