Autism or bad behaviour

Hi , new here. My 7 year old is currently being assessed for Autism. His always quite well behaved at home as we can see when something is triggering him and distract him before it escalates or he will take himself off to his bedroom when he gets over stimulated.

However tonight he has absolutely lost it, worst meltdown yet. Hit myself, his step dad. Told us he hates us were horrible etc. I've put him in his room to calm down and to safeguard ourselves and his little brothers. My question is how do you know when it's his Autism/over stimulated or his just being a pre-teenage boy?

Myself and my partner have sat down and both said the same. We don't know how to punish him as we can't always tell which it is. Obviously if his being his back chatty teenage self he will just lose electrical devices for the day but I don't want to punish him for something he can't help. Be kind I'm sat crying feeling like the worse mum ever Upside down

Parents
  • I’ve been through similar struggles with my 9-year-old son who has Autism. It’s tough figuring out what’s Autism and what’s just typical kid behavior. Keeping a journal helped us spot triggers for meltdowns, like sudden routine changes or too much screen time. When it comes to discipline, we focus on natural consequences and calming strategies rather than punishment.

• I’ve been through similar struggles with my 9-year-old son who has Autism. It’s tough figuring out what’s Autism and what’s just typical kid behavior. Keeping a journal helped us spot triggers for meltdowns, like sudden routine changes or too much screen time. When it comes to discipline, we focus on natural consequences and calming strategies rather than punishment.

Children
No Data