Songs/music + associated memories

Intense memories tend to be associated with the music I remember.

I tend to play a lot of music in my head and often remember all the lyrics.

However, I avoid playing it nowadays (anywhere other than in my head)  because of how it affects me emotionally.

Unfortunately, I can't turn my brain off with the same ease.

So, I thought a thread might be in order.

I've just posted 'It's Raining Men' by the Weather Girls on another thread.

It came out in 1982 and I was 20.

I remember going to a 'Gay Night' at my local nightclub with friends and dancing to it.

Anyone want to share theirs?

• Portsmouth and Brighton.

The Pink Coconut was in Brighton

Ben

• Where you anywhere near The Pink Coconut?

Derby? No.

Mine were Portsmouth and Brighton.

• We may have shared a dance floor

Were you anywhere near The Pink Coconut?

Ben

• Ha ha! So do I.

We may have shared a dance floor Ben.

You never know.

Walking Dancer

• I remember going to a 'Gay Night' at my local nightclub with friends and dancing to it.

Ha ha! So do I. Oh dear, was that really 42 years ago? I was 29.

I have long since abandoned nightclubs and no longer possess dancing shoes.    I was always exhausted for days after a night out, probably from masking all night as I tried in vain to fit in.

Ben

• Often if I'm not in a good place I can't listen I certain music or genres, sometimes I can't listen to any music at all. Other times music can pull me out of a hole and cheer me up or remind me of who I am, not being alone and all sorts

I completely relate with this. I have a similar relationship with music as well. Sometimes it's the light I need to see through the dark and other times the darkness is too thick for music to get through.

• It's amazing that others seem to associate so much memory and emotions to music.

My wife always says she never hears lyrics, I very much do and associate those and the song to a certain time, mood or emotion. Music can be like a drug sometimes.

Often if I'm not in a good place I can't listen I certain music or genres, sometimes I can't listen to any music at all. Other times music can pull me out of a hole and cheer me up or remind me of who I am, not being alone and all sorts.

• Aw, it was lovely to revisit that thread - thanks Debbie. :-) 

Where are you, Steven, indeed. Doing well somehow, I hope. Much missed. 

• What a lovely memory. Blush

• The shame of it lol Joy

• Hi 

I’ve posted about this before and agree. Music is how I recall events in the past and present which takes me right back to where I was. My empathy levels are sky high anyway and music can take me much much further. I try to only listen to music that gives me positive energy but even then it can make me emotional because it was a happy memory. 
    I am sorry you find it difficult to listen to things because it can cause you distress. Are you not able to only listen to things that put you in a good place? I find if I choose carefully I can turn my mood around (sometimes) but generally if I’m in a bad place I tend to listen to things that fit with my mood which doesn’t help. 
    Here are some things I listen to.

Anything by Drab majesty 

Metronomy 

The Cure

Depeche Mode

Wild beasts

LCD soundsystem 

Miguel Campbell

80’s stuff

House music

These are to name just a few.

• Here's one that Steven (where are you) made earlier.

I find it interesting when I'm on the PC looking at a thread, that on the right hand side you get 'related' and lots of other threads in a similar vein come up with a link.

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/29981/the-how-does-music-affect-you-thread-in-association-with-shard

• That is a brilliant story that made me smile.

I love this:

The man who did it told me the last decorator did an awful job and I should get my money back, I didn't have the courage to say it was me lol
  • sometimes I can almost feel the warmth of the sun

That is very evocative.

• Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.

I just pasted the link to the excerpt from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on another thread.

My mum took me to see it at the cinema in 1969 when I was 7 (being age appropriate didn't have meaning really for her).

So, at the very end I remember being really worried and saying to her 'do they survive all that gunfire' and she kindly told me that they did.

• The song Iris by Goo goo dolls takes me to a town called Meredith which is in New Hampshire at the end of the 1990s. It was the beginning of September, the leaves were turning red and the sun was glistening off the lake (winnipesaukee).

It's a comforting memory, sometimes I can almost feel the warmth of the sun.

• Don't Stop Me Now by Queen.

During Covid I needed to paint my room, a task which I've never enjoyed because I find paint overwhelmingly fumy and I hate paint getting on my skin so my motivation was low and I really didn't want to do it. I had already put it off several times before. So I decided to make myself a motivational music playlist, including only upbeat songs that would keep up my spirits.

Queen's Don't Stop Me Now is the one I remember best because when it was playing I was covered in paint, half laughing-half crying, and my room looked absolutely horrific. But somehow the song kept me going.

As it played I just finished one bit of wall, turned and accidentally hit the paint tin which as you'd expect, fell and poured out all over the sheet I had put down which the paint soaked through ruining my carpet. Rolling eyes

I somehow managed to transition back to my 4 year old self and had the biggest tantrum you've ever seen lol. Sweat smile

Now whenever I hear this song it always makes me smile and then laugh because of what happened. All in a 3 minute song as well. I not only gained an amazing memory that day but I also realised I was never going to be a decorator.

I finished my room but it looked horrible so after Covid I hired someone to paint my room for me. The man who did it told me the last decorator did an awful job and I should get my money back, I didn't have the courage to say it was me lol Joy