Help with a going for a Lorna Wing Assessment

I had an NHS assessment where they lied, fabricated evidence and ignored the information that they had including a partial diagnosis from a decade ago, it was so upsetting, I have been trying to get over it and proceed with an internal NHS complaint which is not going well, it's like they are stonewalling and ignoring facts as well.

I have been trying to get information together for the past three months and it all keeps falling apart. I have thousands of words and it all keeps falling through my mental grasp.

I am so worried even going through Lorna Wing to have a new assessment, and pay for it myself this time and hope for honesty this time.
I fulfil all the criteria according to the DSM-5, tick all of the boxes but the NHS ignored it all.

I was wondering about he DISCO and am trying to get help with a framework to put all the data and supporting evidence, I don't want to be in a situation again at interview again where they ask a question and i answer the question asked but they don't question deep enough to get to the facts.

I just need help with a framework so I have all the relevant information ready to satisfy the reason for the question, I need details of the reason for the questions and the questions so that I can  have the full information ready to satisfy or be a starting point from which to discuss the autistic realities of my life.

Can anyone help me to know the questions and reasons for them in order that I can fill in my application for an honest assessment with the Lorna Wing Centre.

Sorry, I am just so stressed about it all, it's difficult to focus on multiple things, and it all keeps slipping through my fingers.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it.
Bear   

Parents
  • Hi there.  I was assessed at the Lorna Wing Centre.  Relax.  They are lovely and will really put you at ease.  I also know they are inundated and they wouldn't be assessing you if they didn't already think from your referral that there is a reasonable chance that you could be autistic.

When I went through the process I answered their questionnaire in great detail amassing any and all information I could for them whether I thought it might point to the fact that I am Autistic or the opposite, perhaps I wasn't.  If you have relative who have recollections from your youth, it might be sensible to sit them down and ask them for their perceptions of the responses to those questions.  I had a battery of old school reports detailing how I never mixed as a kid and what my concentration and focus was like - that proved really useful. Depending on your generation, have you video of when you were young so that they can see how you played and interacted with the world and people around you?  If not, write down all your recollections. Give them all that before hand and don't worry about overburdening them with detail.  They'll find it all useful and they will read and pay attention to it.

On the day itself they will put you at your ease and you can have little breaks if it's overwhelming.  They asked me a number of questions about what had prompted me to want to be assessed and then about all the areas in the questionnaire and they are interested in all the detail - so take your time.  Take someone who knows you well along, if you can.  They'll have a word with them too.  

I'm so sorry you've had such a negative experience with the NHS.  I know some trust have assessors who are well trained these days and can spot the subtler presentations of Autism, but there are others who are still stuck in the 20th century conceptions of what Autism looks like and are wont to miss out on some cases, particularly with women and girls, putting down their struggles to social anxiety or such.  You can rest assure with the Lorna Wing though that they are bang uptodate with the latest research and give it the time and attention needed not to miss a trick.  There was so much they picked up on at my assessment which evidenced my Autism that even I hadn't noticed at that point.  These guys are good and, if you are indeed Autistic, their verdict is unlikely to be rejected by anyone because their reputation is so good.  They do have incredible expertise in the subtler presentations of Autism and in separating out Autism from other neurodevelopmental conditions and from psychological conditions which might emulate the surface features of Autism.  You can have real confidence in their outcome.

Disco doesn't involve any interpretation of pictures of frogs, you might be pleased to hear.

• Hi there.  I was assessed at the Lorna Wing Centre.  Relax.  They are lovely and will really put you at ease.  I also know they are inundated and they wouldn't be assessing you if they didn't already think from your referral that there is a reasonable chance that you could be autistic.

When I went through the process I answered their questionnaire in great detail amassing any and all information I could for them whether I thought it might point to the fact that I am Autistic or the opposite, perhaps I wasn't.  If you have relative who have recollections from your youth, it might be sensible to sit them down and ask them for their perceptions of the responses to those questions.  I had a battery of old school reports detailing how I never mixed as a kid and what my concentration and focus was like - that proved really useful. Depending on your generation, have you video of when you were young so that they can see how you played and interacted with the world and people around you?  If not, write down all your recollections. Give them all that before hand and don't worry about overburdening them with detail.  They'll find it all useful and they will read and pay attention to it.

On the day itself they will put you at your ease and you can have little breaks if it's overwhelming.  They asked me a number of questions about what had prompted me to want to be assessed and then about all the areas in the questionnaire and they are interested in all the detail - so take your time.  Take someone who knows you well along, if you can.  They'll have a word with them too.  

I'm so sorry you've had such a negative experience with the NHS.  I know some trust have assessors who are well trained these days and can spot the subtler presentations of Autism, but there are others who are still stuck in the 20th century conceptions of what Autism looks like and are wont to miss out on some cases, particularly with women and girls, putting down their struggles to social anxiety or such.  You can rest assure with the Lorna Wing though that they are bang uptodate with the latest research and give it the time and attention needed not to miss a trick.  There was so much they picked up on at my assessment which evidenced my Autism that even I hadn't noticed at that point.  These guys are good and, if you are indeed Autistic, their verdict is unlikely to be rejected by anyone because their reputation is so good.  They do have incredible expertise in the subtler presentations of Autism and in separating out Autism from other neurodevelopmental conditions and from psychological conditions which might emulate the surface features of Autism.  You can have real confidence in their outcome.

Disco doesn't involve any interpretation of pictures of frogs, you might be pleased to hear.

Children
  • Thank you for describing your experience of attending a DISCO assessment at the Lorna Wind Centre.

(From a definitely NON-fan of the interpreting pictures of frogs assessment variety!).