Joining the Army

Hi, my name is Matthew. I'm 27 and I have autism. I'm really interested in joining the Army but I've read that they don't accept autistic people which I disagree with as I think due to our excellent observation, honesty, loyalty and dedication a lot of us would be perfectly suited. Maybe I'm wrong in that but I'm sure some would do amazingly in the Army. I think I would.

I'm really intent on joining but my diagnosis of autism is a problem. I'm tempted to try and get the diagnosis removed but I don't know who to ask about that and worry it will not be removed.

I've always dreamed of being in the Army and now I feel crushed that I can't.

Parents
  • Hi Matthew, there's a lot of negativity in these posts regarding the Army which is peoples opinions, but I don't think is useful to you.  Your truth is yours and because someone else has a different view of the army isn't going to change that.  If it is right for you - then it is absolutely correct and you go for it!!!

Can I ask, what have you done practically for realising this dream?  Have you spoken to your local recruitment office to get the actual information not internet rumour?

Your Local Army Careers Centres (mod.uk)

The Army like a lot of institutions are moving with the times and barriers which used to get in peoples way are being taken down.  The reason they are is because enough people made enough noise about it, they were forced to listen - people like you.

Can I suggest, make an appointment at your local office, go down and explain what it is you're after.  It may even be the case that if for some medical reason you can't do basic training, they may have some alternative routes where you could be a part of the greater Army family without being a serving soldier.

Please let the community know how you get on, it could be really useful to someone else Blush

• Hi Matthew, there's a lot of negativity in these posts regarding the Army which is peoples opinions, but I don't think is useful to you.  Your truth is yours and because someone else has a different view of the army isn't going to change that.  If it is right for you - then it is absolutely correct and you go for it!!!

Can I ask, what have you done practically for realising this dream?  Have you spoken to your local recruitment office to get the actual information not internet rumour?

Your Local Army Careers Centres (mod.uk)

The Army like a lot of institutions are moving with the times and barriers which used to get in peoples way are being taken down.  The reason they are is because enough people made enough noise about it, they were forced to listen - people like you.

Can I suggest, make an appointment at your local office, go down and explain what it is you're after.  It may even be the case that if for some medical reason you can't do basic training, they may have some alternative routes where you could be a part of the greater Army family without being a serving soldier.

Please let the community know how you get on, it could be really useful to someone else Blush

Children
No Data