Joining the Army

Hi, my name is Matthew. I'm 27 and I have autism. I'm really interested in joining the Army but I've read that they don't accept autistic people which I disagree with as I think due to our excellent observation, honesty, loyalty and dedication a lot of us would be perfectly suited. Maybe I'm wrong in that but I'm sure some would do amazingly in the Army. I think I would.

I'm really intent on joining but my diagnosis of autism is a problem. I'm tempted to try and get the diagnosis removed but I don't know who to ask about that and worry it will not be removed.

I've always dreamed of being in the Army and now I feel crushed that I can't.

• people always try to break me even still, then they find they never get the same loyalty or compliance back again. they get eternal contempt and hate.

The army will only want recruits who will do exactly what they are told, when they are told and without questioning or complaining.

Their primary purpose it to die for the country if it is asked of them so having a recruit who may object to the foreign policy on a particular conflict is not going to be acceptable.

Likewise anyone who questions an order - I suspect you would be kicked out as you don't behave like a sheep.

There is no expectation of loyalty to the troops from further up the chain of command  - if you don't accept this then you have no place in the armed forces.

I don't think it is right but it is what they need to have an effective fighting force willing to die when ordered.

• what if your just compliant without needing to be broken? lol

which to be fair i think i am... and then people always try to break me even still, then they find they never get the same loyalty or compliance back again. they get eternal contempt and hate.

• This is true of the USMC and the US Navy Seals and some other elite milltary units, including but not limited to the French Foreign Legion - my cousin Sean joined the French Foreign Legion and every time he came home to Ireland on leave, he would still take out his uniform and iron it every single day, such was the discipline imposed 

• have you considered the navy? Their polocy is to consider enlisting autistic people on a case by case basis. If you want to work 'behind the scenes' the experence in the navy is probably a lot like the army only with more time at sea as oposed to forien bases. If you want to fight on the front lines there is always the royal mareens (which is part of the navy).

• We are capable of being calm, logical, decisive and dispassionate in situations where NTs would be too overcome by emotion. 

I don't know if you have any experience of basic training, but their techniques are designed to break you to the point you become totally complient to command.

Someone showing resilience is typically targetted to find what their breaking point is and to push at this - and the result for an autist is likely to be much longer lasting than a neurotypical (ie meltdown has a lasting effect for us) so is likelt to result in them being found unsuitable for "conditioning".

I agree we may be better suited to some roles (eg drone pilot, sappers, back office roles etc) but the basic training still has to be navigated and the limits tested of the individual.

• Hi Matthew, there's a lot of negativity in these posts regarding the Army which is peoples opinions, but I don't think is useful to you.  Your truth is yours and because someone else has a different view of the army isn't going to change that.  If it is right for you - then it is absolutely correct and you go for it!!!

Can I ask, what have you done practically for realising this dream?  Have you spoken to your local recruitment office to get the actual information not internet rumour?

Your Local Army Careers Centres (mod.uk)

The Army like a lot of institutions are moving with the times and barriers which used to get in peoples way are being taken down.  The reason they are is because enough people made enough noise about it, they were forced to listen - people like you.

Can I suggest, make an appointment at your local office, go down and explain what it is you're after.  It may even be the case that if for some medical reason you can't do basic training, they may have some alternative routes where you could be a part of the greater Army family without being a serving soldier.

Please let the community know how you get on, it could be really useful to someone else Blush

• ah my dad always threatened to kick me out and replace me with a orphan lol just because of the smallest things such as fussy eating.

• It’s an interesting discussion, as long before my diagnosis when I was growing up, my dad used to threaten to “put me in the army” to “make a man of me” and at a point where I was beginning to realise that I was gay and was starting the process of coming out as gay - as an aside, I’d wanted to join the air force, having always had a childhood dream of wanting to become a pilot, but it never worked out, as my bullies in school (including the teachers) made sure that I would never have the grades required to get in to the air force after secondary school 

• Although it is difficult for me personally to see why the Army is appealing, I am glad that they now look on a case by case basis.  Whilst sensory overload, I can imagine, could be a major problem for some autistic people, that's not necessarily the case.  Some Autistic folk might be hypo rather than hyper sensitive, and as much as some panic in situations where an NT would not, the opposite is also true.  We are capable of being calm, logical, decisive and dispassionate in situations where NTs would be too overcome by emotion.  I know I've experienced that before in emergencies.

Apply anyway, be honest and let the Army assess.  If they won't take you are there other jobs of that ilk that you might be suited for, say Ministry of Defence civilian roles or the police?

• Hey guys.

I just want to say sorry about my post last night. I was feeling low and I think the depression and anxiety went in to overdrive and was doing most of the talking here. I feel in some ways I would be capable but mostly not... I struggle big time with both the autism and my depression and anxiety. 

I wouldn't ever try to have my autism removed, I like that I'm autistic, I could do without the anxiety and meltdowns but my autism allows me to enjoy my special interests and obsess over classic cars.

It makes me different but it's something I've always tried to embrace in myself. Some people have wanted me to change but I try to distance myself from people like that. 

I would absolutely love to work in the Army. My brother did it for a long time and I feel so inspired by what they do, it makes a huge difference to others lives and I would love to be doing that too.

Currently I'm at home all the time, often too anxious and depressed to go out. I take my car out from time to time but usually I'm too anxious to get out of it in a car park or outside the shops. I'll usually have a meltdown in a busy and noisy environment, I guess why I would be terrible in the Army.

It's sad though and adds to the depression because here I am with a working mind. I like to think I'm a good friendly person but most people never want to know me so I have no friends and am fairly isolated. I spend a lot of time doing writing and listening to music, working on my Senator. I've got a real passion and deep interest in classic cars. 

I feel like I'm existing without really living. I have three sisters, two are younger than me and they are all happily married, have children and have moved out and are working. I'm not even close to any of that and I feel saddened that I can't seem to accomplish it. 

I've tried working three times before and each time it was disastrous. I had meltdowns and panic attacks and it cost me the job each time. 

Sorry for the long message guys. I wanted to explain myself, and my situation. I hope I didn't come across as rude and arrogant last night. If I did please accept my apologies, I'm not like that.

I'm just trying to make sense of my life as currently it's not really going anywhere.

I'll try to interact around the forum more today. 

Thank you for all of your replies and for your input here.

• you may fail the interview.

i got rejected from both army and navy.

army due to a condition that makes my fingers and toes shut off blood flow if too cold..

navy though... navy i got to the interview and it was all very personal prying interview about your life and history and past... very invasive... they rejected me because they thought i was suspicious as i had no social life and i do nothing, have no friends, dont have a high opinion of my teachers as they asked if i got along with my teachers at school...  so yeah as a autistic person alot of aspects of your life that you answer on will make you fail at the interview even for the navy. because even if you dont tell them your autistic, the life and lack of sociability of a autistic person is just suspicious to them, infact not having a diagnosis likely made that worse as then its up in the air it could be many similar conditions and alot of them are not trustable to give a gun to.

• Count your blessings. Joining the army is not a good thing at all. Think about the PTSD you would get after it and the years of therapy. People that have been in the army and killed other humans have a hard time in life. Many of them resort to binge drinking alcohol everyday to live with the guilt. I had a great grandad in the Second World War and he was a troubled man who drank. He likely had autism too.

• Autistic people not being accepted into the army (as a general rule) is as much for our sake as theirs.

I tend to agree with this here. There are many Autistic people who have sensory overloads where loud noises such as gun fire can be very overstimulating to Autistic people and if they become overwhelmed who’s to say what could happen, not to mention the PTSD that a good majority of service members get. It’s not all roses when it comes to something this… extreme, for lack of a better term. I find the rule very fair and agree it’s there for our safety just as much as theirs.

• I think it's something to think about. Autistic people not being accepted into the army (as a general rule) is as much for our sake as theirs.

You may feel that you'll be able to cope with what the Army would throw at you, but the reality might be different. I would advise against trying to get the diagnosis removed.

• I'm really intent on joining but my diagnosis of autism is a problem. I'm tempted to try and get the diagnosis removed

Well that is a problem.

There is a reason the army discriminate against neurodivergents and that is because we are not reliable under the sort of pressure that battle situations can put you under. When it comes to a matter of life and death and you are huddled in the corner with a sensory meltdown from the explosions around you then you become a risk to others who are counting on you.

Trying to get the diagnosis removed in order to get the position is tantamount to fraud and puting your colleagues lifes in risk, so please don't do this.

It isn't all doom and gloom though - look at their policy:

https://british-army.career-inspiration.com/app/discussions/view/90233/what-is-the-recruitment-policy-for-people-with-autism

They will review it on a case by case basis, so if you really are low risk then you may well get in. I suspect they will have access to your medical records including notes of any changes made and a deliberate attempt to mislead them could lead to a criminal case agains you.

It is better to be honest than risk a potential conviction for lying to the army on your application.

Instead - look at what attracts you to the career. Is it the weapons, the uniform, travel, the exercise, the teamwork etc - work with these any you may find you are well suited to a different role.