Wanting to cook but anxiety holding me back

Hi, I'm new here, and hoping that this is something some of you might understand.

I'm 28 and have autism. I struggle in such a big way with seemingly normal every day things. Because of my physical health problems I'm unable to work but I want to become more independent so like doing my own banking, my parents do this for me at the moment. And I want to start learning to cook so I can look after myself as and when I need to when my parents aren't around anymore.

But there's a problem. My anxiety. It's absolutely monstrous and it affects me in so many ways, physically and mentally. I want to learn to cook but I'm so anxious about doing it for so many reasons.

I'm worried about,

• Giving myself and others food poisoning.
  • Burning myself.
  • Being a terrible cook. 
  • Food disagreeing with me and making me ill.

I know I shouldn't let my anxiety win and rule my life but I can't help it. It's got this bad that it always wins and I've had therapy and everything but nothing has helped me. 

I'm open to any suggestions and advice. Please help. I desperately want to be able to cook and enjoy the stuff I make. I've bought so many pots and pans, and cooking tools, but I haven't been able to use any of them yet.

Parents
  • I'm a dreadful cook - I find the executive strain of co-ordinating more than one pan all a bit much.  Yet somehow I've managed to keep both myself and son alive for decades, lol.

A couple of your fears are about food safety - that's the easy part.  Just read up about proper food storage etc and stick to the rules; e.g. Cooked meat should always be place higher than raw meat or fish in the fridge - any falling bacteria on the raw meat will be destroyed when it's cooked.  Or, never refreeze anything once defrosted unless it's been cooked in between etc.  Or, you can exceed "best before" dates but NOT "use by" dates.  Don't chop meat or fish on a chopping board then chop up salad until you've thoroughly washed the chopping board.  Assimilating and rigidly sticking to these rules will ensure that you don't get food poisoning.

As for being a terrible cook - you might surprise yourself and discover a new talent and a new interest.  But I should think any one ought to expect a few disasters along the way.  The worst that can happen is you won't want to eat it and put it in the bin.  Never mind, it'll turn out OK next time.  On this point, I guess, just remind yourself it's OK to try and fail a time or three.  It'll come out palatable in the end.

• Food safety does bother me. A LOT.. I'm always anxious about safety in every way though, like with driving I always triple check everything from the oil to the battery charge to the wheels to make sure the car isn't going to break down or catch fire or something.

I'm OTT cautious but I have always been like this. Safety first right? Remembering to check everything with cooking is a worry for me too because my memory isn't always great, no idea why, but for a 28 year old I feel it's terrible. Anyway I have so much to think about whilst cooking but I can at least make reminders and also see timers on my phone to help remind me of checking foods and remembering to clean surfaces.

So much to remember and it's so stressful but it's also very necessary. I can't rely on my parents to be there cooking for me forever so I want to try and nail this sooner rather than later before it's too late. 

I'm a dreadful cook - I find the executive strain of co-ordinating more than one pan all a bit much.  Yet somehow I've managed to keep both myself and son alive for decades, lol.

Lol XD that's good, there's always a silver lining Laughing good on you though! That's a great accomplishment, cooking, staying alive and parenting too. I would love to be a mum but I'm not sure it'll ever happen for me. 

I hope so, one day. I'll master cooking first then tackle that lol. 

• There are short cuts... steam all the veg together in one pan etc

Good luck with it.

Reply Children
No Data