Wanting to cook but anxiety holding me back

Hi, I'm new here, and hoping that this is something some of you might understand.

I'm 28 and have autism. I struggle in such a big way with seemingly normal every day things. Because of my physical health problems I'm unable to work but I want to become more independent so like doing my own banking, my parents do this for me at the moment. And I want to start learning to cook so I can look after myself as and when I need to when my parents aren't around anymore.

But there's a problem. My anxiety. It's absolutely monstrous and it affects me in so many ways, physically and mentally. I want to learn to cook but I'm so anxious about doing it for so many reasons.

I'm worried about,

• Giving myself and others food poisoning.
  • Burning myself.
  • Being a terrible cook. 
  • Food disagreeing with me and making me ill.

I know I shouldn't let my anxiety win and rule my life but I can't help it. It's got this bad that it always wins and I've had therapy and everything but nothing has helped me. 

I'm open to any suggestions and advice. Please help. I desperately want to be able to cook and enjoy the stuff I make. I've bought so many pots and pans, and cooking tools, but I haven't been able to use any of them yet.

Parents
  • I've taught many people to cook and it's something I really enjoy doing, as others have said start with something simple like scrambled egg, or a salad. I'd suggest getting Delia Smith's How To Cook, its an older series of books, but is aimed at people who want to cook, but have no idea of the basics, it was a staple of every student kitchen I've ever been in. It's also a good resourse book as it gives you the recipes for things that you might not cook often, but become a regular part of you repetoire when you become more confident, like puff pastry for example.

If you're afraid of burning yourself get a tube of aloe vera gel and keep it handy for minor burns.

Think about what foods you like to eat and try making them, for example if you like lasagne have a go at that, theres a few proceses involved, but whilst time consuming, fairly basic and easy as well as hugely satifying.

• Thank you for your great suggestions and for the book suggestion. I just found it on eBay and will order it when I can. Thanks for suggesting it! It sounds like it will be really useful for a total beginner like me. Hopefully :/ 

I'll get me some aloe vera gel too. I'll definitely need it for sure. I'm so clumsy I know I'll burn myself at some point. Best to be prepared! 

I love soup so I'm thinking maybe I can try and make my own homemade soup first of, if it's not too difficult to do. I've always loved soup and am really ambitious to make it and see if it's any good.

Thank you for your helpful reply and suggestions. I greatly appreciate it. 

• Soup is really easy and a good one to start with, try this out.

Carrot soup

1 large onion topped, tailed, peeled and roughly chopped

1kg carrots, topped, tailed, peeled, cut into quaters then chopped into thumbnail sized pieces

2 bay leaves

1/2 teaspoon of thyme

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

1 heaped tsp of vegetable stock powder or one chicken stock cube.

approx 2 litres of water.

Put the oil and veg in a very large pan, something about the size of a pressure cooker pan, set over a medium heat on the hob and add the vegetables, salt and herbs.

Give it good stir every 2 or 3 minutes until the onions become sort of transparent.

Add 3/4's of the water and stock powder or cube, give it good stir, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a gentle simmer for about 30-40 mins, or until the carrots are soft.

Remove the bay leaves, leave to cool a bit, then either whizz it up until smooth with a whizzy up stick or in a food processor until smooth. Pour into to clean pan, check to see if it needs more salt, reheat and serve. This freezes really well and is a good way to use up carrots that are a bit past their best or that are being sold off cheaply/

• Thank you so much for this ^ Blush really so good of you to write this out and I hope you know I am very very grateful! I've print screened this so I can refer back to it when I am ready to.

Reply Children
No Data