I've just resigned from yet another job. Any advice would be gratefully received.

I'm in my mid-50s and have been on an NHS waiting list for an autism assessment for about two years. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for more than two decades and take medication. I've just resigned from yet another job following a sequence of events which, although familiar, is one I haven't been able to stop. The sequence runs something like this:

1. I secure a job and feel very excited and enthusiastic about it, particularly in the early stages.
  2. I manage my workload reasonably well but don't cope well with too many tasks at once, especially when there's pressure over competing deadlines.
  3. I tend to think about work when I'm not at work, and the headspace it occupies begins to increase.
  4. There's a gradual build-up of mental pressure which I find challenging and which begins to overload my emotions.
  5. Although I find aspects of the work very challenging, it's the emotional side - working and collaborating with others - that I find especially difficult.
  6. I find it particularly hard to accept criticism of certain parts of my work, especially those that require a lot of effort, and often seem to have difficulties with one colleague that become almost obsessional.
  7. The emotional pressure continues to build and I might have a mini-blowout over a particular issue.
  8. My anxiety over my job builds to such an extent that I can think of nothing else and find it impossible to deal with.
  9. I feel my only option is to resign and remove myself from the situation as fast as I can.
  10. I lose my job and have to start all over again. 

Looking back, this sequence of events has now happened up to eight times in my life. Once, I ended up in hospital. It was after one of these sequences that it was suggested to me that I might be autistic. I don't know if there's anything in this and would be very interested if any readers have any thoughts or reflections. I'd also be particularly grateful to receive any advice on how I might be able to stop the sequence from happening again. Thank you very much for reading - and warmest good wishes.

Parents
  • To me, this sounds like autistic burnout, which slowly builds up over time, consciously and unconsciously. 

A little more info on burnout here:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/autistic-burnout

My advice would be to seek a diagnosis, which you have mentioned you are on the never-ending waiting list. Another option would be to consider seeking mental health support - perhaps book an appointment with your GP about this or self-refer to your local IAPT service. 

I have experienced burnout (I work full time), leading me to a crisis point. Only then did I seek ways to manage any stressors and ask for support from my workplace, GP, and support network. 

• I also used IATP after my GP referred me during a burnout (didn't realise for certain what I was going through till after diagnosis the year after)

Found some of the CBT they offered as online courses was quite good, helped me get some perspective.

Give it a try , it's worth a shot while you wait, you might find it helpful.

• I also used IATP after my GP referred me during a burnout (didn't realise for certain what I was going through till after diagnosis the year after)

Found some of the CBT they offered as online courses was quite good, helped me get some perspective.

Give it a try , it's worth a shot while you wait, you might find it helpful.

Children