Pets

Living on your own and considering getting a pet is a big decision. While it comes with responsibilities, many people find that having a pet fulfills their need for connection. Have any of you found getting a pet to be helpful in this regard?

Parents
  • I have two dogs (both rescues) my 1st is Herbert, he's a staffy cross and was scared of everything as he'd not had the best start in life. My other is Harper who is a Lurcher, she is Herbs emotional support animal.

They are a constant and give affection and love for very little return. They give me a reason to get up and going.

On the flip side, they are a massive commitment and come with costs and constraints.

Pets come in all shapes and sizes, I always want a tortoise.

• I used to have a tortoise called Fred or Freddie coger lol he was vicious when over heated. He belonged to an elderly couple that I called aunty Doreen and uncle Joe. Friends of my grandparents sadly uncle Joe passed away and aunty Doreen had to move to sheltered accommodation couldn’t take Fred so my mum took him on they believed he was 40 but could have been older. Then my mum died so I took him on sadly he died not sure of the cause but I believe he was 60-80 years old so he had a good life.

• I used to have a tortoise called Fred or Freddie coger lol he was vicious when over heated. He belonged to an elderly couple that I called aunty Doreen and uncle Joe. Friends of my grandparents sadly uncle Joe passed away and aunty Doreen had to move to sheltered accommodation couldn’t take Fred so my mum took him on they believed he was 40 but could have been older. Then my mum died so I took him on sadly he died not sure of the cause but I believe he was 60-80 years old so he had a good life.

Children
No Data