After diagnosis

Hi guys, I have got a question my son who is 5 has recently been diagnosed with autism but what happens now? 
I am researching more into autism and trying to find ways that will help with everyday life and different approaches. 

Children’s therapies are now going down the ADHD route as well. 

Do you get a formal letter with his diagnosis on? I have made the school aware with diagnosis but they still aren’t rushing a EHCP plan for him, is there anything that I can do to get this sorted 

Parents
  • my son who is 5 has recently been diagnosed with autism but what happens now? 

You should ask the organisation that did the diagnosis for a copy of the assessent.

It should have been added to your sons medical records but not all agencies will do this - sometimes you need to get the letter and pass it to your GP to add.

I have made the school aware with diagnosis but they still aren’t rushing a EHCP plan for him, is there anything that I can do to get this sorted

You can ask for a meeting with the SENCO in the school (their special needs co-ordinator) and have all your questions prepared for the meeting with them, It would be wise to record this meeting as sometimes it is hard to take it all in, but be sure to tell them you are recording it.

Reading up on autistic traits is a great idea - identify which your son exhibits and think of how these can be reasonably eased at school, but don't be surprised if he masks his issues at school to try to fit in and not be the "weird" guy in the class.

• my son who is 5 has recently been diagnosed with autism but what happens now? 

You should ask the organisation that did the diagnosis for a copy of the assessent.

It should have been added to your sons medical records but not all agencies will do this - sometimes you need to get the letter and pass it to your GP to add.

I have made the school aware with diagnosis but they still aren’t rushing a EHCP plan for him, is there anything that I can do to get this sorted

You can ask for a meeting with the SENCO in the school (their special needs co-ordinator) and have all your questions prepared for the meeting with them, It would be wise to record this meeting as sometimes it is hard to take it all in, but be sure to tell them you are recording it.

Reading up on autistic traits is a great idea - identify which your son exhibits and think of how these can be reasonably eased at school, but don't be surprised if he masks his issues at school to try to fit in and not be the "weird" guy in the class.

Children
No Data