Autistic-friendly careers advice

Does anyone know if this is something anyone does? 

I feel like I just need to speak to someone because my head's all over the place regarding what I want to do. I know I don't need to have it all worked out now, but it'd be nice to have some direction.

I've spent many many years trying to work it out on my own, and I think I realised that it's not really working anymore.

Parents
  • Have you thought of writing down to clear your head and help organise your thoughts? It might help you find what you really want to do.

I would suggest not rushing in to anything. Look at your skills and what you enjoy. Take it slowly though, don't rush. You will find the answers and it will be worth waiting for. 

I was in a similar situation a few years ago and I eventually ended up working in a museum related to my special interest. It’s calm, quiet and people enjoyed my info dumping lol.

It was the ideal career for me but I didn't realise it until I wrote down my interests and skills and then it was staring me right in the face. 

• Have you thought of writing down to clear your head and help organise your thoughts? It might help you find what you really want to do.

I would suggest not rushing in to anything. Look at your skills and what you enjoy. Take it slowly though, don't rush. You will find the answers and it will be worth waiting for. 

I was in a similar situation a few years ago and I eventually ended up working in a museum related to my special interest. It’s calm, quiet and people enjoyed my info dumping lol.

It was the ideal career for me but I didn't realise it until I wrote down my interests and skills and then it was staring me right in the face. 

Children
  • That's a good idea. I think I know my strengths and the things I like, but marrying that with a job role is more complicated because I need to know that such a job role actually exists (if that makes sense).

Certainly the next step is to speak to some kind of careers advisor (who might be neurodivergent themselves) to get more of an idea.