Cosplay and Conventions

Hello.

I am new to this forum and wish to meet like-minded people. I have Mild Autism with dyspraxia and dyslexia. As my first post, I want to discuss the topic of cosplay as it means a lot to me, and it seems to matter to others.

I wish to know others' cosplay journeys, comic con experiences, and memories to understand why it matters to us. I also want to support other cosplayers and hope to work together.

I also have trouble speaking and meeting others at conventions, so I am after advice. With anxiety, I struggle to approach and meet people at conventions or ask them to take a photo with amazing cosplay, especially with famous people who are there.

I have done cosplay for many years now, and I wish to expand my creations and meet all the other wonderful creators out there. 

I will leave on an introduction. Hello there, I am Joe, and I am a creative person. Who wants his big break and a chance to shine!

Thanks for reading!

Parents
  • I'm [identifying information removed by moderator], aka One-Eyed Cosplay. I'm based in Corvallis, Oregon, and my cosplay journey has been mainly in the Cascades corridor.

I started cosplaying just before the pandemic, at the tender age of 58. As I head toward this year's Rose City Comic Con, that will be my 5th anniversary. (Yes, that makes me 63 now.)

I had an "informal" diagnosis of autism in 2008, but finally got a formal one (with all the testing and everything) last week. It mainly affects my social interactions, sensory processing, and motor skills.

I get my cosplay nickname from a blind left eye. (There's a story behind that, better  suited for another time.) Ironically, so far only one of the characters I cosplay is one-eyed..

Most of my cosplays are examples of "collected cosplay" -- I shop around for the best item for each type of thing, whether it's a shirt, jacket, trousers, boots, wig, or whatever. I do make things, though; I've taught myself sewing and 3D modeling, and nearly every cosplay I have includes at least one thing I've made myself.

I tend to lean toward characters less often seen, humorous characters, and (especially) characters whose voices I can do impressions of. They include the War Doctor, the Sixth Doctor, Darkwing Duck, Jedi Elvis, the Shadow, Harpo Marx, the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight, and Captain Klutz.

You can find me as a frequent guest on Wayne the Unknown's YouTube channel, on the "Geekin' Out" and "Cosplay Con Talk" programs. I'm particularly proud of the Autism in Cosplay panel, and the two-part Humor in Cosplay presentation.

As for advice on approaching other cosplayers, the main thing I'd recommend is opening by acknowledging the character and telling the cosplayer how cool it is. And don't worry about the trouble speaking; I have some of my own troubles in that area, and so far everyone's been incredibly accepting.

• I'm [identifying information removed by moderator], aka One-Eyed Cosplay. I'm based in Corvallis, Oregon, and my cosplay journey has been mainly in the Cascades corridor.

I started cosplaying just before the pandemic, at the tender age of 58. As I head toward this year's Rose City Comic Con, that will be my 5th anniversary. (Yes, that makes me 63 now.)

I had an "informal" diagnosis of autism in 2008, but finally got a formal one (with all the testing and everything) last week. It mainly affects my social interactions, sensory processing, and motor skills.

I get my cosplay nickname from a blind left eye. (There's a story behind that, better  suited for another time.) Ironically, so far only one of the characters I cosplay is one-eyed..

Most of my cosplays are examples of "collected cosplay" -- I shop around for the best item for each type of thing, whether it's a shirt, jacket, trousers, boots, wig, or whatever. I do make things, though; I've taught myself sewing and 3D modeling, and nearly every cosplay I have includes at least one thing I've made myself.

I tend to lean toward characters less often seen, humorous characters, and (especially) characters whose voices I can do impressions of. They include the War Doctor, the Sixth Doctor, Darkwing Duck, Jedi Elvis, the Shadow, Harpo Marx, the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight, and Captain Klutz.

You can find me as a frequent guest on Wayne the Unknown's YouTube channel, on the "Geekin' Out" and "Cosplay Con Talk" programs. I'm particularly proud of the Autism in Cosplay panel, and the two-part Humor in Cosplay presentation.

As for advice on approaching other cosplayers, the main thing I'd recommend is opening by acknowledging the character and telling the cosplayer how cool it is. And don't worry about the trouble speaking; I have some of my own troubles in that area, and so far everyone's been incredibly accepting.

Children
  • We would like to remind you of our community rule 2:

This Community forum is public, so do not post personal or identifying details. This includes, but is not limited to, full names, addresses, contact details, social media, or photographs of yourself.  

Kind Regards,

Rosie Mod